York-Humber Bridge-York. A flat(-tish) imperial century, 3rd September, 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don’t think I’ll make it.

Sadly, positive for COVID yesterday. At the minute I can’t see me being fit.
Sorry to hear that.

I felt ill for about a week with Omicron and not too bad after that.
Hoping to come just need to find a good time to ask the Mrs!
Probably before other plans get made, so sooner rather than later? :whistle:
That’s not good. Hope you feel OK. I’m still with Covid. Nasty cough and cold symptoms preventing me getting on the bike 😷☹️
Fingers crossed! Hopefully, you will recover as quickly as I did.

I have had a sore throat since doing a metric century ride on Thursday. I have been taking it easy since then to avoid aggravating it. Feeling a lot better tonight so I am tempted to do another metric century tomorrow, but if I do it will be the easy Devon route that I devised last year. It only has about 1,000 m of ascent in total, and nothing too severe.

That’s not good. Hope you feel OK. I’m still with Covid. Nasty cough and cold symptoms preventing me getting on the bike 😷☹️
Yes, about the same. Might be slightly better today. Not up to doing much though.

Buck

Guru
@ColinJ. Sadly, i am out for this weekend. I am still testing positive for Covid and the symptoms are not going!

i don’t want to spoil the ride (for me or others) so i think the sensible thing is to give this a miss. Disappointing as I was really looking forward to this. :sad:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

@ColinJ. Sadly, i am out for this weekend. I am still testing positive for Covid and the symptoms are not going!

i don’t want to spoil the ride (for me or others) so i think the sensible thing is to give this a miss. Disappointing as I was really looking forward to this. :sad:

That is a pity, but it is the sensible thing to do. 100 miles (even pretty flat miles) - that's a long way to ride when not fully recovered from illness, especially when it looks like the outward leg will probably be into a nagging cross/headwind. (But at least this year we should get wind assistance on the run back to York!) Let's get together on another Garforth ride in Spring, 2023?

My Devon sore throat went away but then I had a scare with my DVT-damaged leg. I had pain and swelling in it for 24 hours but that seems to have abated now. I am back in Yorkshire and will probably do a couple of short rides to make sure that problems are not still lurking.

I'm not likely to be riding Saturday as I'm currently sat in A+E suffering with something akin to appendicitis - but as I had that op 20 years ago who knows what it might be. Intense waves of pain, can't get comfortable sitting standing or lying down. Ho hum.

Julia9054

Guru
Hi Colin
Really sorry to let you down - I know how much work you put into organising rides - but Al and I are going to have to back out of Saturday’s ride.
All our time since getting back from our holiday has been taken up with elderly parents. I have only been able to get out on my bike twice in the last 2 weeks, both sub 50 miles, both felt really hard work.
In addition, I have woken up this morning with a cold so we both feel we wouldn’t be up to it.
Sorry about that.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm not likely to be riding Saturday as I'm currently sat in A+E suffering with something akin to appendicitis - but as I had that op 20 years ago who knows what it might be. Intense waves of pain, can't get comfortable sitting standing or lying down. Ho hum.
YIKES - I hope that it is nowt serious - GWS! :eek:
Hi Colin
Really sorry to let you down - I know how much work you put into organising rides - but Al and I are going to have to back out of Saturday’s ride.
All our time since getting back from our holiday has been taken up with elderly parents. I have only been able to get out on my bike twice in the last 2 weeks, both sub 50 miles, both felt really hard work.
In addition, I have woken up this morning with a cold so we both feel we wouldn’t be up to it.
Sorry about that.
I'm sorry to hear that - GWS you both too!

And to almost complete the set... :whistle:

As for looking after myself... I'm afraid that even just my 5 km shopping loop today made my sore throat flare up again. The checkout person at Lidl asked "Card or cash?" but couldn't make out my croaked reply. A friend has come round and her first words were "Are you okay? You look quite pale!" I think that I had better play safe and go to the Humber Bridge ride thread and tell them the bad news... :sad:
:laugh:

@colly, @Soltydog, @Domus, @EasyPeez, @Thegreatthor, @Jameshow, @Spiderweb, @DCLane and anybody else who might be interested...

RIDE POSTPONED - SORRY, BUT MAYBE WE CAN RUN IT LATER IN SEPTEMBER!

Let's see how we feel and see what the weather is doing next week and decide what to do.

Last edited:

Buck

Guru
…and there were none! I’ll
Keep an eye on the thread in case I can make another date - diary and health wise!

GWS @ColinJ and @neil_merseyside and @Julia9054

colly

Re member eR
:sad:
Well bugger it! I'll go by myself then.

I hope you all get your various issues sorted for the better.
If you do rearrange in September @ColinJ l will be away 15th to the 26th. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well bugger it! I'll go by myself then.

It is supposed to be windy and wet... :whistle:

If you do rearrange in September @ColinJ l will be away 15th to the 26th. :rolleyes:

And I am going away at the end of September and into October, so it looks like it would have to be September 10th if it is going to happen! (I think the 2nd week of October would be getting a bit late in the year for a slow 100-miler.)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Isn't 10th Sept the Cheshire 100km ride?

It IS, but I did say that that one might get put back a week. So far, you are the only person to say that you might be able to do Cheshire on the 10th. @Littgull might be up for it too, but that depends on how he gets on with his new bike.

I think that the Humber Bridge ride really ought to run earlier in the year than September. I can't ride quickly enough to get back in daylight if it is too late in the year. I need to ride more so that I can ride more... quickly!

I was hoping to get a good September in with 4 or 5 metric centuries, but I could see me not managing any at this rate.

How did you get on at the hospital? Not still waiting to be seen, I hope!

Jameshow

Veteran
Sorry to hear it. Hope your better soon.

Get some medical attention as you don't want it becoming anything worse.

I was about to declare I cannot do it as my daughter's asked for help damp proofing the cellar!

Will certainly try and get to the next ride.

Cannot do the 10th as down in verwood watching the TofB with my folks.

It IS, but I did say that that one might get put back a week. So far, you are the only person to say that you might be able to do Cheshire on the 10th. @Littgull might be up for it too, but that depends on how he gets on with his new bike.

I think that the Humber Bridge ride really ought to run earlier in the year than September. I can't ride quickly enough to get back in daylight if it is too late in the year. I need to ride more so that I can ride more... quickly!

I was hoping to get a good September in with 4 or 5 metric centuries, but I could see me not managing any at this rate.

How did you get on at the hospital? Not still waiting to be seen, I hope!

Ah OK, you should of course be focussing on your own training, we can always tag along another time. You must do what you need and not what we want - unless they tally.

I was discharged from hospital with pain killers but no treatment for the unknown problem! Basically I didn't have all the symptoms of likely causes (pain not high enough for an ulcer, I don't have an appendix, no blood markers etc). So far drugs are masking pain and the hope is whatever it is has gone by the time they're finished on Sunday :wacko:.

Top Bottom