FNRttC York to Hull Friday Night Ride - 23rd June 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Just arrived home. Got off the train at an earlier stop to cycle home and make it an imperial ton; although I suspect there will be several from the ride who will exceed that figure.
A big thank you to The Fridays for putting this together and it running smoothly. A very enjoyable night.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
A great ride with some great folk, nice to meet old & new faces. Special thanks to @User10119 for her 1st class hospitality & stacks of cakes :okay:, massive thanks to the Friday's for organising the whole thing & getting it to run so smoothly & thanks to the young lady who shared her breakfast with me at spoons :smile: (sorry I'm crap with names)
A truly great experience & wish I could get out on more of these rides :sad:

650x168.png

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Sign up at the website for email updates, we try to send only one a month and the Manchester-Morecambe ride might suit you. Interesting scenery.
Would love do do that, an easier one for me travelling wise, but working that weekend & all this years holidays (all 8 days :blush:) booked

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Have not long surfaced after a deep slumber this afternoon. Experimental foray down Anlaby Road suggested slow painful progress riding NW so I succumbed to paying the £20 fare for the 1012 York train. A mere 80 miles for the day since getting to the Minster then....Fab night. More to follow, probably when I get home & have a proper keyboard.

Last edited:
Macaroni cheese, flapjacks and caffeine cup cakes IIRC. Unless tiredness and a large Peroni have affected my memory., (which is entirely possible ^_^)
One is British. None of your cupcake nonsense around here, nice traditional fairy cakes I think you'll find.

But coffee flavoured with chocolate coated coffee beans on, so clearly a midnight gift from the Caffeine Fairy ;)

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
[QUOTE 4855350, member: 10119"]One is British. None of your cupcake nonsense around here, nice traditional fairy cakes I think you'll find.

But coffee flavoured with chocolate coated coffee beans on, so clearly a midnight gift from the Caffeine Fairy ;)[/QUOTE]

I apologise. :notworthy:
They were though excellent. :okay:^_^

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Yes, I made the mistake of sharing the flapjacks I was carrying. They went down very well. And those fairy cakes were very much a cut above the stuff you get from supermarkets. Not often I have homemade cake. Lovely. A real treat.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
It was a bit of a gamble resurrecting this ride, which was last done 3 years ago. Having initially made contact with the organisers of Garthorpe Village Hall before Christmas, I made a possibly bold prediction to them that we'd get 35 riders, which with their £7/head charge was the minimum they felt would be viable to raise funds for the hall and for their volunteers to open up at silly o'clock in the morning.

Having done the traditional route a number of times in earlier years, I wanted to try and improve things a bit, as in the past, some of the roads around Elvington towards Howden had been spectacularly bad, although I knew they'd done some re-surfacing locally. In addition, I felt the first section was a bit boring only enlivened by the odd boy racer buzzing us. So that's why I decided to incorporate a section of the York to Selby cycle path, so even though that does have a bit of tree root problem on the tarmac, it gives you a different perspective of the countryside, but more importantly gets you further south which then enables you to experience some of the local wonders, such as the rich smells of the Rank Hovis flour mills near Selby and the ominous cooling towers of the Drax power station which we first see in the distance and then as we zig and zag on the quiet country lanes, they grow in size, to eventually tower above us. Unfortunately with the drizzle, it wasn't possible to stop at that point. Unfortunately, unlike Simon's cat, neither of my two cats have any weather forecasting abilities:

Bailey.jpg

So the Norwegians let us down on that score with their predictions of a warmer night and no wetness. I blame Brexit, but unlike the effects of that, fortunately the drizzle was only for a short time.

Then there was the long straight of the A645 which by day is a very unpleasant road due to the volume of large juggernauts using it, but at night there was only a couple of vehicles, who gave us plenty of room. And going that way then let us use the Goole Services which I know came as a great relief for some riders, as at that point there was still another 10 miles to the village hall. Coming in on the Old Dock road to the south of Goole then misses out some of the nasty bits, but still allowing you to appreciate some of the port, which is in fact 50 miles inland. By then, we could see the eastern sky slowly lighting as we tracked the River Ouse, even going below sea level at one point, to then get to Garthorpe just before 4 am, to see a nice spread for us, which was rapidly demolished:

IMG_20170624_041827.jpg

Some riders then decided to engage in the Zen art of eyelid inspection
IMG_20170624_043338.jpg

Setting off again, then we did have some negative slopes to contend with, so chapeau to those on single/fixed, especially @GrumpyGregry who decided not to bail but to finish the ride. Then it was over the Humber Bridge

IMG_20170624_074616.jpg

and onto breakfast

IMG_20170624_092435.jpg

All of my photos can be found here. Special thanks to @User10119 for hosting most of the riders beforehand and to those who helped out at the front and back, especially @McWobble and @CharlieB who seemed to end up doing a lot of the waymarking, so hopefully next time they can have a rest as the more who help out, the better!

As the Village Hall seemed very pleased with us, we'll definitely try and run this again next year.
And that's what the Friday Night Ride is all about

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
It was a bit of a gamble resurrecting this ride, which was last done 3 years ago. Having initially made contact with the organisers of Garthorpe Village Hall before Christmas, I made a possibly bold prediction to them that we'd get 35 riders, which with their £7/head charge was the minimum they felt would be viable to raise funds for the hall and for their volunteers to open up at silly o'clock in the morning.

Having done the traditional route a number of times in earlier years, I wanted to try and improve things a bit, as in the past, some of the roads around Elvington towards Howden had been spectacularly bad, although I knew they'd done some re-surfacing locally. In addition, I felt the first section was a bit boring only enlivened by the odd boy racer buzzing us. So that's why I decided to incorporate a section of the York to Selby cycle path, so even though that does have a bit of tree root problem on the tarmac, it gives you a different perspective of the countryside, but more importantly gets you further south which then enables you to experience some of the local wonders, such as the rich smells of the Rank Hovis flour mills near Selby and the ominous cooling towers of the Drax power station which we first see in the distance and then as we zig and zag on the quiet country lanes, they grow in size, to eventually tower above us. Unfortunately with the drizzle, it wasn't possible to stop at that point. Unfortunately, unlike Simon's cat, neither of my two cats have any weather forecasting abilities:

View attachment 358823

So the Norwegians let us down on that score with their predictions of a warmer night and no wetness. I blame Brexit, but unlike the effects of that, fortunately the drizzle was only for a short time.

Then there was the long straight of the A645 which by day is a very unpleasant road due to the volume of large juggernauts using it, but at night there was only a couple of vehicles, who gave us plenty of room. And going that way then let us use the Goole Services which I know came as a great relief for some riders, as at that point there was still another 10 miles to the village hall. Coming in on the Old Dock road to the south of Goole then misses out some of the nasty bits, but still allowing you to appreciate some of the port, which is in fact 50 miles inland. By then, we could see the eastern sky slowly lighting as we tracked the River Ouse, even going below sea level at one point, to then get to Garthorpe just before 4 am, to see a nice spread for us, which was rapidly demolished:

View attachment 358824

Some riders then decided to engage in the Zen art of eyelid inspection
View attachment 358825

Setting off again, then we did have some negative slopes to contend with, so chapeau to those on single/fixed, especially @GrumpyGregry who decided not to bail but to finish the ride. Then it was over the Humber Bridge

View attachment 358834

and onto breakfast

View attachment 358835

All of my photos can be found here. Special thanks to @User10119 for hosting most of the riders beforehand and to those who helped out at the front and back, especially @McWobble and @CharlieB who seemed to end up doing a lot of the waymarking, so hopefully next time they can have a rest as the more who help out, the better!

As the Village Hall seemed very pleased with us, we'll definitely try and run this again next year.
And that's what the Friday Night Ride is all about

The biggest thank you for everything - I can't begin to imagine the work put into making this happen - as previous years (FA Cup Aside) when I have been able to attend, a thoroughly enjoyable experience & company - must learn how to sleep when I get home on the day though ;) - Craig

Top Bottom