Your first job

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greedo

What was your first real job?

I was a paper boy and then worked in the record department of John Menzies as a teenager.

Wanted to go to uni and follow in my Dad's footsteps and become an Architect. Changed my mind when I found out it would take 7 years and I was a bit shite at tech drawing, and ended up getting a job as a printer :biggrin:

Left when I realised it was such a mind numbing job.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I was a potwash then chef cook in sheffield

then after that I got into Mass Spectrometry. That was twelve years ago.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Window cleaner followed by going on tour with bands selling merchandise. Which was a real eye opener I can tell you.

Wanted to join the Royal Navy.... one of my biggest regrets not doing so.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Paperboy.
Petrol station whilst at College.
Cinema during Uni holidays.

First 'proper' job was as a Marketing Assistant at a College after Graduating (Degree in Physics - go figure!!) then changed jobs over next few years to Marketing Coordinator and onto Regional Marketing Officer (North West).

Retrained in IT so dropped back down the ladder to be a Network Technician for a year and the IT Support Officer and then (finally) into my current role of IT Officer (Web Applications Development).

Next year I plan to take over the world using only .Net, a roll of sellotape and a second hand rowing boat oar.... I think I'll have my work cut out for me.

ChrisKH

Guru
Paper Round (13)

Glass collector in nightclub (14-16) - best job I ever had. All those women looking for a schoolboy. And as for the hen nights......xx(

Charity collector whilst at college - worse job I have ever had, except for Mrs. Smith at number 16. :biggrin: :ohmy:

Trainee Accountant, first proper job. £1,760 per annum. Work it out. It was peanuts. Fortunately managed to secure a proper training contract in the City when I was 21. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Flyingfox

I was a paper girl in a small village in Kent - some of the farms I delivered to were a couple of miles out and up really steep hills. The worst was on a Sunday when the papers had all the supplements and you had to balance about 30-40 papers on your handlebars.

Builders labourer for my friend's business. £40p.w. less tax, which amounted to £29.04 - in 1977. I slogged four years at art school to get to that point...a degree gave way to degrease.:sad: Then I went to work at art school, truly proper, with paid into a bank salary (might as well have paid it direct into the Angel or The Kings Arms), with London weighting and all the toys - just as Ken Livingstone was getting his feet under the table. Shucks, I could have been Mayor of London...:tongue::biggrin:

Railway signalbox 'booking boy'...recording train times.......:tongue: First week's wage was £22......:biggrin:

First summer job:
Working in the complaints department of a tour operator

First part time jobs (they were simultaneous):
Selling merchandise to punters at the NEC, and various national stadium tours for bands.
Post graduate teaching assistant

First proper job:
Post-doctoral research fellow

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hey,
same as me....
But mine was way back in the early '80's for bands such as Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Wham, Culture Club, U2, Cure, Whitesnake, Saxon, Rainbow and almost every big pop & Heavy Metal band at the time.

Kirstie said:
Selling merchandise to punters at the NEC, and various national stadium tours for bands.

Top Bottom