Your first job

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had a job in a supermarket for the two years I wasted in the 6th form.

Then wasted two more years in an office job before I discovered travelling.

I've had dozens of jobs/employers since then.

gbb

Legendary Member
Little Chef.
No idea what i waned to do at school...that came up...that'll do for a starter (scuse the pun)

£22 ish to start. Within 6 months they offered to put me on a trainee management program...like a fool, i thought bugger that and declined.

3 months later i was coal field surveying with a Canadian company, over doubling my money :mrpig:.

TVC

Summer job whilst a student - Opening crisp packets at Walkers.

All the bags that had not sealed correctly or were underweight are opened and their contents poured back onto the line for repackaging. Eight weeks of this, 8 hours a day, but the cash was fantastic - £250 a week in 1987. It kept me in beer for the whole of the following academic year.

dudi

I worked in the service department at our local friendly Building Society. a great company to work for.
2nd job was in the collections department - same company
3rd job was in the Mortgage department... same company.

than I finally left to chase my fortune!

PaulB

Legendary Member
I sweated behind a grill in a steak-house 45 hours a week including Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights as a teenager(!) but on the plus side, I was earning £40 a week plus another £25-40 in "extras" while my schoolmates were earning £16 a week on apprenticeships. This would have been in 1975 or so.

colly

Re member eR
Was a paperboy for a few years then after leaving school I worked for a firm of book illustrators. I really enjoyed my time there and it was sad when the bosses decided to close up and move on.:sad:
They did get us all jobs with a company who were the main competition so they didn't leave us out to dry. That didn't last long for me because we had a weird 'supervisor' who had the un-nerving penchant for bending over in front of young lads (me being one such) whilst wearing very short skirts, and no knickers.
She was very attractive too but had a real hard edge to her and would never ever crack a smile. Woe betide you if she didn't like something you had done.
I had at that time never heard the term 'dominatrix' but it would fit her to a tee.

I was scared so I made my excuses and left.:tongue:

PaulB

Legendary Member
colly said:
Was a paperboy for a few years

But you were a good boy and after a few years you became a real boy. Which was nice. :tongue:

puddleglum

Apart from the paper round and an abortive attempt at work experience in a posh deprtment store, I packed 'Nice' biscuits into inserts at Fox's Biscuits in 1987. For £1.20 an hour. :tongue:

postman

Legendary Member
Worked fior Barrats shoes .Third sales hated it had to work Saturdays.

I even missed the 1966 World Cup Final,that really cheesed me off so jacked it in .

PaulB

Legendary Member
postman said:
I even missed the 1966 World Cup Final,that really cheesed me off so jacked it in .

What, so you could watch England's victories in 70, 74 and 78? Talk about bad timing!!! :sad:

longers

Legendary Member
I used to bottle up of a morning at the Packet Boat - the smell of stale beer and fags before school :sad:

Top Bottom