Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
Just a couple of rides in the last week BH Monday 50 mins to patley bridge with a friend. Steady away as he's not done many miles. Weather was good and traffic lights. Did the lope clockwise so down grenhow hill and Norwood edge to be kind to my make (Bernard -if you know you know!)

The tonight a 35 miler round ikley moor to get a difficult day out of my system. Felt depressed and fed up.so a good blast round the moor in 2 hours with an extension to nolton abbey round about to avoid the busy road into ikley.
New wheels were great but a tad stiff due to more spokes and deeper section than rs10s...

ExBrit

Über Member
Just a couple of rides in the last week BH Monday 50 mins to patley bridge with a friend. Steady away as he's not done many miles. Weather was good and traffic lights. Did the lope clockwise so down grenhow hill and Norwood edge to be kind to my make (Bernard -if you know you know!)

The tonight a 35 miler round ikley moor to get a difficult day out of my system. Felt depressed and fed up.so a good blast round the moor in 2 hours with an extension to nolton abbey round about to avoid the busy road into ikley.
New wheels were great but a tad stiff due to more spokes and deeper section than rs10s...

A nice bike ride can fix almost anything. How many times have you started a ride feeling like you don't want to and finished so glad you did?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
A beautiful evening for an extended commute home. First time this year in short sleeves and bib shorts.
Out on the Specialized Crux, quite a headwind for some of the ride, 28.3 miles at a very steady 14 mph average, lovely.
IMG_9710.jpeg

IMG_9712.jpeg

IMG_9715.jpeg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday: I had a chance to get out in the morning and the weather was forecast to stay dry until after lunch so I got the Hawk out and went off to climb some hills. The storms on Sunday night had mostly missed Shrewsbury but had brought with them a change to cooler and windier weather - it was just warm enough for shorts but I needed a fleece on top.

I did my regular Plealey, Oaks, Pulverbatch, Wilderley, Dudgeley, Condover route partly to try and take advantage of a tailwind on the way home and partly because it has bail out options if the rain came in sooner than forecast. I started off climbing over Lyth Hill and found that the legs were more tired than I'd thought. This was not going to be a fast one. The time of day meant that there wasn't too much traffic about, making for a nice uneventful ride.

Just a handful of cyclists were about, the first of which I overtook on the approach to Plealey. I had the climb to Oaks almost to myself - just a Genus van overtaking on the way up. The wind had more of an easterly element to it than I'd expected so it was in my face a bit from Pulverbatch, through Wilderley and on towards Smethcott. There are plenty of places that are sheltered though so it wasn't all a slog. I almost decided to shorten the ride at Leebotwood but thought I'd regret not staying out a bit longer if I did so carried on even if the legs weren't overly happy about it. A van parked in a gateway just past the church was giving off an extremely potent "herbal" smell.:unsure: I do wonder about the people I'm sharing the roads with sometimes.

There were a couple of horse riders to get past at Dudgeley then the crossing of the A49 was a bit busy and I had to wait. Once across though I had a helping wind (not the direct tailwind I'd hoped for though) to scoot me through Hollyhurst, Longnor, Ryton and Condover. There was less traffic by the time I needed to go onto the A49 the second time.

Exactly 27 miles showing on my speedometer at the finish and 11.9 mph average. 1870 feet of climbing on Strava. Good to get out but that was plenty for the legs this time.

20240513_091837.jpg

A moodier view from Lyth Hill on this occasion.

20240513_100143.jpg

At Pulverbatch. I understand that the White Horse is open again. Not on a Monday though.

20240513_102031.jpg

Still a good display of bluebells as I approach Smethcott.

20240513_102522.jpg

View from the descent to Walkmills and Leebotwood.

20240513_104947.jpg

A nasty hole this: it's right on the cycling line on a fast downhill stretch just after Hollyhurst. Reported to the council with a copy of this photo for what good it'll do.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A bonus ride today, so just the 16 miles. A little bit windier up in Morayshire today, but still lovely and warm. I rode out from our lodge to the SW, so as to nip into the local town of Keith and back. Lovely undulating countryside.
P1050504.JPG

Before Keith I hung a right and climbed up a small but quite steep hill into an intriguing, formally laid out former mill village called Newmill.
P1050508.JPG

Then I dropped back down and took a quiet back road into Keith, passing massive barrel stores and twenty or thirty bonded warehouses belonging to Chivas Regal's Strathisla Distillery.
P1050510.JPG

I eventually came across the distillery itself, and exchanged photo-taking offers with a group of tourists from Seattle. Every one of them exclaimed something like "Oh, look! A Real camera!" (I am old school).
P1050513.JPG

I did a quick tour of the town of Keith before heading back.
P1050514.JPG

P1050517.JPG

I took the quiet side road past the high security bonded warehouses for as far as I could before briefly hitting the A96 and then the Keith to Cullen road.
P1050522.JPG

A short, but great little ride. Mostly empty roads with plenty of hills, but all of them quite manageable. I can't believe how great the weather has been up here. Nothing like the BBC forecast the week before we came. I packed all the wrong clothes, only packing one pair of shorts, so we had to nip to Tesco yesterday to get me another pair! Loving it up here.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Just enough time for a quick blast to blow the cobwebs off today.
It felt a bit damp out, grey and cloudy and a little bit of wind.
Popped up the hill along the closed road to and through Harwell Campus, a quick photo shoot at the memorial, down the paved bridle way under the A 34 into Chilton village, and out along the farm tracks down to Upton. Just over 6.5 miles today on Whyte Coniston, that bike must be about 11 years old now.
IMG_5257.jpeg

IMG_5255.jpeg

IMG_5256.jpeg

THIS STONE MARKS THE END OF THE RUNWAY FROM WHICH AIRCRAFT OR Nº 38 GROUP.

ROYAL AIR FORCE, TOOK OFF ON THE NIGHT OF 5TH JUNE 1944 WITH TROOPS OF THE 6TH AIRBORNE DIVISION WHO WERE THE FIRST BRITISH SOLDIERS TO LAND IN NORMANDY IN THE MAIN ASSAULT FOR THE LIBERATION OF EUROPE.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Probably my last ride in Moray on this holiday. Only a 17 miler, but it brought up 90 miles in 4 rides. Some of the most enjoyable cycling I've done for a long, long time. Only a short ride out to the SE today, looping out from our lodge in Crannoch through Bracobrae, Ruthven and Farmtown, but quite a hilly one. Sitting back and relaxing now with a dram of Chivas Regal from the local Strathisla distillery. I hope I will be back one day. Some photos: (the last one by Mrs D as I arrived back):

140.The road to Ruthven.JPG

142..JPG

143..JPG

144..JPG

147..JPG

148..JPG

buzz22

Über Member
Sydney to Kiama today, a beautiful Autumn day in Sydney.
20240517_072200.jpg

This was the first proper hitout for my 1985 Repco Nishiki Cresta.
20240517_093608.jpg

Around 30km south and I was on Seacliff Bridge- when the light is right it looks a bit arty which is why many of the world's car makers film their commercials there.

20240517_100803.jpg

Down the hill to Austinmer. The cantilever brakes definitely felt stronger in my culdesac with a flat surface and no luggage.
No wonder, with 130kg of rider and over 20kg of bike and luggage they had their work cut out....

20240517_112124.jpg

A quick lunch stop in Wollongong about 60km in, the calamari and chips went down well.
20240517_122849.jpg

20240517_130910.jpg

20240517_142956.jpg

20240517_144548.jpg

Some beautiful sights and scenery on the way down and then the goal- the lighthouse at Kiama.
A bit over 100km, no bike issues at all and a very tired rider.
I've done this ride on my last four annual leave periods now, on a different bike each time, and it's become something I very much look forward to.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Just another after work local ride. My normal half mile to Bridgend was over 5 miles due to a proper resurfacing over 4 days.

Out the back of Noss and along the coast road before coming back via a really quiet lane…. Apart from the massive van. I had to lift my bike into the hedge and squeeze in myself!

15 sunny miles

Once home I was ridden by the new member of the family, Herbie.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11432296891

IMG_1639.jpeg

IMG_1640.jpeg

IMG_1645.jpeg

A short flat active recovery ride for me at lunchtime after last nights TT. I had originally planned to loop round by Holme alone but it finally feels like summer so I looped round Connington Airfield. Its a very small commercial/leisure airfield these days but I think it had some importance during WW2.

Peterborough Business Airport - Wikipedia

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
We have stopped off for a couple of days in Dumfries & Galloway on our way home from Moray, so I've had the chance to get in a decent ride in the South of Scotland. We have brought the fantastic weather with us. This morning I was out before 8.00am in hazy morning sunlight, and it was really quite warm by the time I got back from my loop around the Solway Firth coast and out to Dumfries and back. Headed off through Mouswald, Caerlaverock Castle, Bankend, Glencapel and Kingholm Quay before turning around at a little pedestrian suspension bridge in Dumfries. On the way back I had the options of retracing around a headland for about 5 miles or biting the bullet and going up and over instead. I opted for the climb as I was running short of time. Made it back to the lodge on 37.2 miles. Some pictures:
150.Mouswald.JPG

154.Caerlaverock castle.JPG

156..JPG

160.Kingholm Quay.JPG

161.In Dumfries.JPG

162..JPG

163. Route of 37 miler in Dumfries & Galloway.JPG

Top Bottom