Your rides this year: 2014 Review of the year.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leescfc79

Über Member
Year started off well with more winter miles then the previous year and by March was feeling good then life got into the way and cycling took a back seat over the summer months but have done over 2k miles so far.

Highlight - rideLondon in August, epic weather and a real sense of achievement afterwards, also some really big laughs along the way.

Low points - not finding the time/motivation to get out while the sun was shining.

I've also found a new love of MTB in the last few weeks which had been another highlight of the year.

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
I've had a brilliant year:
Feb - bought Dawes touring bike (already had an MTB)
April - C2C and joined CycleChat
May - 4 day cycle camping tour in Scottish Highlands
June - bought first road bike and completed 56 mile circuit of Arran with CC Ecosse
October - bought custom built Thorn Sherpa and began planning for LEJOG in 2015
Lots more bits'n'pieces but those are the highlights of my first full year of cycling obsession. I love it and continue to be grateful for the help, advice and kindness of folks on here.
Cheers and a very merry Christmas and happy new year to you all.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My highlight of 2014 was a cycling holiday to Mallorca.

Day 1 was the best day including the ascents of Sa Batelle, Puig Major, Col Soller & Col de Hono.
A great day with over 2750 metres of climbing in just over 100 kms !!!

View attachment 73722
Sounds great!

I have never been to Mallorca but will definitely try and get over there with a bike one spring or autumn when I feel fit enough to make the most of it.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
It was great - I'd thoroughly recommend it.

We stayed in town of Campanet.

Also went to Cap Formenter & Sa Calobra - fantastic ascent / descent :bicycle:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I had some great rides, one I particularly liked was a canal tow path ride from Marple to Congleton when I just mooched along in no hurry.
Another good one was Spring into the Dales which I rode with some Cyclechatters (arranged by top man ColinJ).
I had several rides in parts of the country which I hadn't ridden in before.
And the "Boris bikes" in Budapest were a blast.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Lost my mojo somewhat this year. I had a lazy, out of sorts kind of a winter, and a consequently grimly tiring spring, feeling too knackered from the commute to summon up enthusiasm for weekend rides.

However, I spent two glorious weeks in France - one in the Nord Pas De Calais, in an area we'd stayed in before - highlight of that being a ride that took in Agincourt. For the second week, we were in Champagne, in the valley of the Marne. An astonishingly lovely, hilly place, and I'm itching to get back there with more fitness.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Well, for me:

London to Paris
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/london-to-paris-day-one-unlucky-13.165730/

London to Brussels
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/london-to-brussels.155837/

and at the very end of last year (almost 2014)
Lands end to John O groats
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lands-end-to-john-ogroats.155855/

along with a fantastic 135 miler on the TDF stage 3, Cambridge to London, which I am really keen to do again next summer

Still, sadly nothing compared to my two ride buddies who are each on 7,000 miles this year. I shall be ticking just over 3,000 at this rate.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
So many high's this year every year seams to get better, I think doing London to Cambridge with my 9 year old granddaughter has to be the biggest high.
Image4-1.jpg

Then there was the London 100
10613129_10204652639975071_8160403832444768492_n.jpg

Then there have been so many rides with friends, Leigh on sea with the girls.
20140712_132639.jpg
Then last weekend was our coast to coast to round up the year, All favorites for different reasons.:thumbsup:
20141130_141943.jpg

And it's been great to see what every body else has been doing, Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Stebo

Regular
2014 was a great year for a relative newbie.
2 years since I got my first bike - Halfords Carrera TDF.
Hit 50 in January and targeted a 50 mile ride.
Did 58 miles on the Evans RideIt Cheshire in April, then 100 miles on the Liverpool Chester Liverpool in June.
Rode the ToB Liverpool Skyride with my 15 year old son in September.
Upgraded to a new Ribble carbon bike in November.
Target for the year was 1200 miles and I'm now pushing onto minimum 1500 miles by end-2014.
Dare I aim for the 2016 Coast to Coast ride.....because the 2015 one is fully booked.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
After cycling Hook of Holland to Esbjerg, Denmark, with a friend in 2013, I this year managed to persuade him to start from roughly where we crossed from the Netherlands into Germany to complete a lap of the Netherlands. Tremendous fun.

Other notable cycle rides were Stanley Park, Vancouver – taking my Brompton over for the trip:

And a very enjoyable ride from Miami Beach across the causeway into Miami, and then along the waterfront – also on my Brompton:

Other than those, another year of just enjoying being out & about on the bike to bring pleasure to even the most mundane of commutes or shopping trips. :-)

Soltydog

Legendary Member
2014 has been a great year for me on the bike, enjoying it as much as ever at present & long may it continue. last year i was off work for a while with a bad back & only managed about 600 miles on the bike, but this year set a target of 2500 miles, but smashed that, so aimed for 3k, done 3100 now, with a few weeks left & lost 2 stone in the process ^_^
Highlights of the year in no particular order;
TDF coming to Yorkshire
Did Hadrians Cycleway with a bunch from work, but was mainly driving support van & only managed to cycle about 110 miles of it
Finally got round to a FNRTTC, great time, great ride & great company, should have done it years ago
Being the fastest rider on a local Sportive :becool:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
2014 was a great year for a relative newbie.
2 years since I got my first bike - Halfords Carrera TDF.
Hit 50 in January and targeted a 50 mile ride.
Did 58 miles on the Evans RideIt Cheshire in April, then 100 miles on the Liverpool Chester Liverpool in June.
Rode the ToB Liverpool Skyride with my 15 year old son in September.
Upgraded to a new Ribble carbon bike in November.
Target for the year was 1200 miles and I'm now pushing onto minimum 1500 miles by end-2014.
Good progress!
Dare I aim for the 2016 Coast to Coast ride.....because the 2015 one is fully booked.
Dare more than that - get a few CycleChatters to join you on a forum C2C in 2015! :thumbsup:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
It's been a strange year. No sportives or anything this year. I just didn't fancy doing one but they normally spur me on to get out on my bike a bit more.

With Hubster being on dialysis and in worse health than last year, we didn't go to the coast by train and then back by bike and most of my riding was by myself. I was doing really well until about August and then I had a bit of a bout of depression for no apparent reason. I've struggled a bit since then.

I now have 3 weeks go get my butt in gear and cycle 188 miles to have ridden 1500 miles this year. If it happens, it happens. If not I shan't beat myself up.

The high point was a nice new bike though. I'll try harder next year.

Top Bottom