Your rides this year: 2014 Review of the year.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Many highlights for me this year

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Piss poor year compared with the recent past.
Grandkids childcare, working harder than I'm used to, bike-mates ill or damaged, and some personal issues leading to a lack of motivation. Christ, I sound like a moany git!
Hey ho, there's always next year!

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Memorable rides for me were:
My first 200km ride with @ianrauk and at an average speed over 18mph. An amazing day on the bike, couldn't quite believe what we achieved.

My longest ride on a bike 131 miles with @ianrauk @CharlieB @Michael Adu @toptom @Ginger James We cycled from London to Brighton, had fish and chips on the beach then cycled back to London
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

A few rides with fellow cycle chatters around my neck of the woods.

Making it to Wendover Woods Cafe with Tom & Charlie about 10 seconds before one of the most torrential showers I've witnessed rained down on us

A Sunday morning 100k ride along the coast road in Norfolk whilst on holiday last August

My 100 mile Oxford loop with Tom and James

Eating breakfasts like this most Sunday mornings cooked by my wife before heading out on the bike
image.jpg

Last edited:

potsy

Rambler
Worst year since I started in 2009, only half my usual mileage, lack of enthusiasm most of the time has meant even my leisure rides have been few and far between.
Highlights

1 New Years day ride with @I like Skol and other cc'ers, drizzly and hard work after an excess of christmas eating but enjoyable all the same.
cafe-jpg.35395.jpg

2 @ColinJ's comeback ride, probably my highlight of the year for more reasons than one, great ride and turnout from old and new cc'ers

After the Trough of Bowland 29mar14 (3) (800x450).jpg
Starting up the Trough of Bowland 29mar14 (800x600).jpg
Conquered the Trough of Bowland 29mar14 (800x450).jpg

3 The only other long-ish ride I did all year, the Manchester to Blackpool charity ride, another good day this time with a lot of my new work colleagues.

P1010160 (2).jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Worst year since I started in 2009, only half my usual mileage, lack of enthusiasm most of the time has meant even my leisure rides have been few and far between.
Highlights

1 New Years day ride with @I like Skol and other cc'ers, drizzly and hard work after an excess of christmas eating but enjoyable all the same.
cafe-jpg.35395.jpg

2 @ColinJ's comeback ride, probably my highlight of the year for more reasons than one, great ride and turnout from old and new cc'ers

View attachment 73632 View attachment 73633 View attachment 73634

3 The only other long-ish ride I did all year, the Manchester to Blackpool charity ride, another good day this time with a lot of my new work colleagues.

View attachment 73636
My Glasson Dock 'comeback' ride was a special one for me too, for obvious reasons!

I am going to do the same ride again at the end of March next year and I hope you make it to that one too. Some other great rides are planned, but let's get the March ride done first before listing them.

Would a Hebden Bridge-Waddington forum ride in January help you make a better start in 2015? :whistle:

mustang1

Legendary Member
Sorry to put a downer on this thread but my year wasn't as fruitful as I wanted. My own fault for not really taking charge. My only riding is the daily commute and that didn't go as much as planned however on a slight positive I went on an evans ride it road event (60 miles) but didn't have time to do a century. Bought a MTB and met some truly awesome people in Epping forest who looked after me on my first MTB excursion (thanks mbro35, I was the newbie who fell in the big pile of mud, and sorry to slow you down!).

But leaving on a high note, I'm expecting 2015 to be a better cycling year and I already feel encouraged by reading this thread! Thanks everyone!

400bhp

Guru
Doing 3 x 100 milers in the space of 2 weeks with my OH whilst on holiday. It was her 1st 100 miler too.

DSCN2294.JPG

DSCN2289.JPG

Plus doing the Stelvio, Mortirolo and Gavia passes over a weekend in September, pushing myself as hard as I've pushed myself for an hour on a bike up the Mortirolo. Don't know why, but I was really ill on the following Monday and Tuesday.:whistle:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've done more miles than ever but no real 'events' this year after major sportives / triathlons in 2012 and 2013. However:

• I'm well over my 2014 target of 7500 miles.
  • Rode a couple of charity rides; my own club's 120-mile ride in September and the GHS Memorial 100-mile ride in April
  • Rode to Skipton for some BBC filming as part of a BBC One Show TDF piece.
  • Rode to Stage 1 of TDF, saw it on Buttertubs, rode back and then rode to Stage 2.
  • Did the Three Bridges 200km audax in July which went really well
  • Rode with the 'crazy group' of a French club in August; 27mph average for most of the 75-mile ride. I was mush at the end but survived.
  • Tried not to crash for a whole year ... which was working fine until last Thursday. I lasted 364 days in a row without falling off :cursing:
  • My biggest by far though isn't me. My now 10 year-old has really come on this year and it's been a joy to watch him at races and, when he's awake, bring him on Saturday morning club runs with me.

Not bad - and am looking to ride a bit further in 2015.

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'm mostly an utilitarian, hill avoider, around town cyclist, to do 100 miles takes me a whole day plus a week to recover :laugh:
Highlight of my year was without doubt our CC Ecosse island tour, a fantastic few days cycling in great company - still can't believe I've done it.
Cycling projects for next year: improve my handling/steering skills, learn how to ride a road bike, learn clipless, do the 110 miles Pedal for Scotland sportive.
I'm not getting any younger, I feel 2015 will be the last time I can attempt such a distance, with hills involved, so I'm gonna give it a good shot!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
This was a year where work rather got in the way of cycing so I haven't done the miles I would quite like (I'm posting from Shenzhen in S China at the moment, another 2 week layoff).

However, the undoubted highlight for me was Glossop - Llandudno. Almost on a whim I decided to give it a go. 110 miles there, fish and chips, then train home. Really hot July day, 25+degrees in the afternoon. I managed to drink about 6 litres of fluid to complete it and I was still thirsty. The final 25 miles on the NCN5 by the sea were just great. That was after 50 miles or so of quiet Cheshire lanes

In fact I enjoyed it so much I wanted to share it with other CCers so I'm doing a Manchester - Llandudno day ride next spring. You can find details on the "Informal Rides" bit of CC

HelenD123

Legendary Member
It's been a pretty quiet year on the bike for me what with studying, organising my wedding and lots of periods of feeling run down and tired. Sadly two good cycling friends also moved away so I've lost my microadventure buddies. My trusty Gazelle town bike has been the favourite this year with lots of commuting and I've finally cancelled my work parking permit. It's satisfying to work out that the Gazelle has already paid for itself.

I did do a spontaneous solo C2C in March with some spare leave and a window to take it at work. I was chuffed to complete it considering the complete lack of preparation and had a lot of fun.

I took the Airnimal up to Scotland at Easter and while the hubby was bagging Munros rode the length of Loch Quoich with some friends in glorious weather.

Hadrians Cycleway is already planned for next year so I'm hoping that will give me the incentive to get out on the bike a bit more and train.

jack smith

Veteran
My first proper year of cycling this time lastyear i bought my first "good" bike a spesh allez i also had a viking road bike and since then i have purchased an, s works venge which was sadly stolen, s works tarmac (sold) boardman team carbon i am running for the winter to hopefully start a project over winter for summer and a spesh rockhopper.

Next year i plan on a slow road project build overtime, to cycle ventoux and to get into the world of proper mtb'ing! Just need to find someone to catch a lift to hamsterly with!

Top Bottom