Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Not today's ride but yesterday. A big ride taking in 3 classic Mallorca climbs - Lluc, Puig Major and the Coll de Soller. 139km with 1730m of climbing. I was pretty knackered when I got back to the hotel yesterday afternoon.
http://app.strava.com/activities/122375599

Poor you Andy, our collective hearts bleed! I have just again done my local 25 mile loop ( in Mallorcan like sunshine) but there is still a persistent cold, strong head wind.

I won't be out in Mallorca until the end of May, beginning of June, but if I get one ounce of head wind, I'll cry!

BSRU

A Human Being
Day off work today and more importantly the whole morning to myself:thumbsup:.
Went out early for a 107km ride with 1200 metres of going up.
Certainly had Friday legs this morning but after 50km legs gave up complaining.
One not too pleasant NSL 5km section, riding into the low sun unable to see the side of the road, most worried about the drivers behind could see:eek:.
Time for a soak in the bath and some all butter sultana scones:biggrin:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Bright :sun:here this morning but there are showers forecast for later so I headed out to get some miles in while it lasted. It may be sunny but it was quite cold with a strongish wind which I was riding out against for the first half of the loop.

I started off heading over Lyth Hill where the track across the top was dry for once (must have a word with the parish clerk about who is responsible for the drainage of that road). I then dropped down through Lyth Bank to Exfords Green before taking a detour along a bridleway. Riding along Long Lane towards Oaks I got buzzed by one of the training helicopters - don't know if they were using me as a target but I got circled four times before they flew away towards Shrewsbury.

The climb up to Oaks was slow and steady as always before I headed off to the couple of steep climbs on the back lane to Pulverbatch. I'm still pretty chuffed at how much better the bike feels after quite a small gearing change.^_^

After Wilderley I had planned to take the direct route into Dorrington then home but when I got to the junction the sky was still blue so I changed my mind and headed for Leebotwood instead, where the weather decided to play tricks on me and I could see shower cloud bubbling up over the Long Mynd.

From here though I had the wind and the gradient in my favour, so I made a good dash for it to try and outrun the rain. I didn't entirely succeed, but did manage to keep ahead of the worst until after Ryton where I did finally get free of it.

I experienced an odd effect on the run into Condover where it felt like I was running in completely still air, but was doing 25 mph and could see the grass, hedges and trees getting buffetted around in the wind alongside me. Pushing on a bit my speed peaked at 29mph (the fastest I've been on this particular section of road. Edit: for perspective, on a good day I'd usually top out at 23 mph here using this bike) before slowing on the climb into the village. Quite happy with that.:thumbsup:

23.6 miles this time at 11.7 mph average.

DSC0000533.jpg

Crossing Lyth Hill on the way out.

DSC0000536.jpg

Getting buzzed by the RAF. The wide angle lens makes it look a lot further away than it really was.

DSC0000537.jpg

Sunshine on the climb up to Oaks.

DSC0000540.jpg

Pulverbatch.

DSC0000543.jpg

The Pound at Leebotwood.

DSC0000544.jpg

A load of dark cloud has bubbled up over the Long Mynd - time to make a run for it.

DSC0000545.jpg

At Ryton and the rain looks like it's gaining on me.

Last edited:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
A windy then monsoon last three miles, 22 ml in all^_^

I was getting wind battered at work this morning so would the regular Fri out be on?
The forecast of icy stretches for Sat am made my mind up but I'll drop down and 'do' my regular sat run..
Off down and not before long I got caught by a crosswind..phew! freaky.
yeDp9U4.jpg

Glasgow Bishopton Met Office station....

I headed along a path to Langbank before having a go at Hatton Brae, bad idea as soon I got over the first rise, the wind was coming across me.
Time to think, I turned at the roundabout outside Bishopton into the wind where even the downhill stretches were slower.
SEiXbMr.jpg

Monkey House grand entrance

I took the Houston Rd but decided to head down Reilly Rd, a good downhill run to start but I soon met the 'dump' access where the road suddenly becomes a mess in stretches until I reached the Georgetown straight.
Took a right and at Houston, I headed towards the Lochar Rd thru Crosslee.
Another stretch into the wind before heading W on route 75.
Home after 22 windy and wet miles.
Glad I headed out:thumbsup:
qUmrT9R.jpg

YES it was at times:surrender:

Attachments

• qUmrT9R.jpg
    qUmrT9R.jpg
    509 bytes · Views: 19
  • SEiXbMr.jpg
    SEiXbMr.jpg
    509 bytes · Views: 27
  • yeDp9U4.jpg
    yeDp9U4.jpg
    509 bytes · Views: 24

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
A windy then monsoon last three miles, 22 ml in all^_^

I was getting wind battered at work this morning so would the regular Fri out be on?
The forecast of icy stretches for Sat am made my mind up but I'll drop down and 'do' my regular sat run..
Off down and not before long I got caught by a crosswind..phew! freaky.
yeDp9U4.jpg

Glasgow Bishopton Met Office station....

I headed along a path to Langbank before having a go at Hatton Brae, bad idea as soon I got over the first rise, the wind was coming across me.
Time to think, I turned at the roundabout outside Bishopton into the wind where even the downhill stretches were slower.
SEiXbMr.jpg

Monkey House grand entrance

I took the Houston Rd but decided to head down Reilly Rd, a good downhill run to start but I soon met the 'dump' access where the road suddenly becomes a mess in stretches until I reached the Georgetown straight.
Took a right and at Houston, I headed towards the Lochar Rd thru Crosslee.
Another stretch into the wind before heading W on route 75.
Home after 22 windy and wet miles.
Glad I headed out:thumbsup:
qUmrT9R.jpg

YES it was at times:surrender:

Nice photos Bob

Attachments

• yeDp9U4.jpg
    yeDp9U4.jpg
    509 bytes · Views: 33
  • SEiXbMr.jpg
    SEiXbMr.jpg
    509 bytes · Views: 24
  • qUmrT9R.jpg
    qUmrT9R.jpg
    509 bytes · Views: 25

alans

black belt lounge lizard
Our Friday tandem ride was a short one today due to 2 hours pre-ride fettling & an injury to my stoker.Soon after leaving Stone we arrived at Amerton Farm for cherry scones with fresh cream & jam plus coffee just as il pluet & decided to return home after reducing the calorie deficit.
So only 24km in a strong wind which was troublesome in both directions.At least we persisted with our Friday habit.

alans

black belt lounge lizard
Dropped the ovloV at the licence to print money shop garage in Cheadle for new brake pads & rode home via Brookhouses,Huntley & Teanford.
Nice bright sunshine BUT an extremely strong headwind which was also very cold & the 8km distance was not enough to warm up properly.
These strong,cold winds seem to have been a feature of all my recent rides with the most annoying feature being that irrespective of the direction in which I travel it's always a bl**dy headwind.

25 miles this morning. There was quite a chilly breeze blowing and my feet never warmed up although I did enjoy it.
Glad though I didn't go any further because 15 mins after I got home there was the almost almighty hail shower.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
120 miles on the FNRttC and SMRbtH Burnham On Crouch edition.

The first couple of hours out of Hyde Park Corner gave us the most horrendous squally, freezing rain. It really was hard work, down-heartening and just plain horrid. I have never bailed on a FNR but I did have naughty thoughts about it. I thought it was going to be one of those very busy TEC nights as when rain does it's thing, tyres decide to puncture. We had 4 in the space of a couple of miles. Luckily all were dealt with promptly. Praise be the rain did clear and the temperature never really fell too low as to feel cold. The rest of the ride sailed along thanks to the tailwind gods pushing us along very nicely to our destination and a very nice, much earned and much needed full English brekkie and copious amounts of tea.

Only 3 of us for the SMRbtH today, and wow, the relentless headwind really took it's toll, it was damn hard work at times. But the rain decided to stay away so that was a blessing.

I am tired...

So 120 miles for the day.
4th 100+ miler for march

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Today's ride was a pootle with the Ladies in my cycle group along the Bridgwater-Taunton canal to the excellent cafe at Maunsel Lock (now with indoor seating!) and then back to Taunton through the lanes. Lots of chatter and laughs, plenty of coffee and cake. Best of all was the girl at the cafe who said as we left "but they're not ladies..." I agreed that I'm certainly not but some of the group were. She didn't know what to say that...

I complain like hell about the canal tow path but I do like the landscape:
Bridgwater-Taunton canal 22mar14 (800x600).jpg

Don't ask. Just don't ask....
Maunsel Lock 22mar14 (2) (800x599).jpg

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
We woke up to snow this morning. We were meant to be doing a mtb sportive, but last night they had abandoned the high level route in favour of something safer, so we had decided against a really early start and didn't go. Our planned car journey would have been 90 mins but with the snow we would have needed to have taken an altogether different route which would have pushed the drive time well over 2hours and well, we can cycle on mountain bikes in a forest any time we want, so we decided that we would do our own thing instead on the last day of our holiday.

IMG_0294.JPG

7:30am this morning...

So after a session of deciding which bikes, and wrapping up warm we headed off into the snow on the road bikes. Yep, road bikes. :eek: Why take the mountain bikes or fit them with studded tyres when...:wacko: just don't go there. the going was slow and we had to take it easy. At times the car tyre ruts were only 12 inches and going up hill in that is not as easy as it could be, but it was not long before decisions needed to be made. We had decided on 'talking' about it at the frog rock - officially called the Frog Stone, but we think it is a rock!

IMG_0299.JPG

The Frog Rock and an old friend.

IMG_0301.JPG

Conditions are not looking too bad for continuing, but if that turns to ice up on Rannoch Moor itself, I'm heading back!

IMG_0304.JPG

the hydroelectric station..

At the top of the climb it was clear we could continue - there were a couple more points that we knew we would need to make a decision at, but as it turned out, whilst the snow got to around 6 inches deep and the ruts only 12 inches wide, it wasn't actually a problem and it was melting fast.

IMG_0307.JPG

Rannoch station bike rack was strangely empty of bikes today!

IMG_0310.JPG

Proof we made it - honest!

IMG_0312.JPG

Not surprisingly we had not met any other cyclists, and only 3 cars. All were great and passed us slowly even though we had had to stop (we were cycling side by side, one in each tyre rut) and picked the bikes up to move them off the road. By the time we got to the descent, which I had been slightly concerned about, most of the snow on the road had melted and instead of 12 inches to play with (:stop:) I now had around 36 inches to play with (OK - for those thinking something else - stop it!!! :whistle:). Before long I had scared the living daylights out of the last of 3 road cyclists who decided on the "can't hear any cars" approach to a faster corner and cut it, now having already passed by OH, I was hoping that he might just consider a possible 2nd cyclist - apparently not! But then the first of that pack had actually been wearing shorts!:eek: :cold:

A quick stop for another photo was called for when the sun made a rare appearance and looked really nice on the loch - I was a touch too late stopping and getting the camera out though...

IMG_0313.JPG

Then back to the holiday home for a warm lunch - it was getting late before heading out again for a final lap of the loch.

Another patch of nice light was to follow.
IMG_0321.JPG

But then the weather started to change and the last few miles were in rain, sleet and finally heavy snow. We got back around 3 mins too late to miss the worst of it :sad:

IMG_0322.JPG

Tis snowing hard again right now. More forecast for tonight, but we have managed to get a great final ride in and really enjoyed it.

http://www.strava.com/activities/122924527 71.5km (44.5 miles 1/2 in snow!)

asterix

Comrade Member
Luvverly. Went to Castle Howard. It was sunny when I decided to go but already the skies were cloudy when I set off. Nice ride out made interesting by the car driver who seemed to think she was in a one-way street and drove straight at me. How we laughed when she realised her error, No, honestly, I was in a good mood.

On the way back the tempest blew and the heavens opened and that was just the beginning:

P1030882_zps84ea8413.jpg

Soon a full on hail storm was battering me around the head and I had to stop since I couldn't see where I was going. When it stopped and I was soaked I set off back to York at full belt just to get warm. You can't beat rides like that, who needs sunshine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom