Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I swear I'd rather go up there twice than down once. Brave riding!
Thanks. I don't mind climbing but struggle to fathom those that prefer going up, now they're a rare breed. I'm definitely more suited to descending shall we say. Riding up twice:wacko:, how long would that take? I'm thinking not far off forever. From the summit with the family in the road to the crossroads in Church Stretton took me 3 mins 45 secs. Think how many times you could go down in the time it took to ride up once^_^ I'd know what I'd prefer. (this would only happen if I managed to persuade a local to give me multiple uplifts in a car:smile:)

Justiffa

GWS Justiffa :smile:

Thx spartak…hopefully the time will pass by like a flash although thts highly unlikely lol :biggrin:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Was away on holiday last week so it was good to be back on home turf for a couple of rides. I had my main bike at the LBS for some major work while away, so I buzzed aroud the flatlands on my Brompton yesterday. Here it is at Swaffham Bulbeck Lode ( a waterway leading to the River Cam then Ouse)

SB Lode.jpg

I like the way the peat hereabouts plays havoc with the telegraph poles as it dries and shrinks. Some are at unbelievable angles. These not too bad though. Yet.

Poles.jpg

After a spin on the Brompton yesterday, I caught the bus today, my last day of holiday, to my LBS in Newmarket to pick up my bike and cycled home.

The drier weather has opened up some of my preferred off road tracks and bridleways again after the wet winter. This is a huge relief as I will do almost anything to avoid roads. This track links Exning, Suffolk's westernmost village, with Burwell, Cambs. The hedge on the right marks the county line (with Suffolk to the right). The bike is weighed down with a few day's shopping from Newmarket (I don't normally ride with so much stuff on board)
track.jpg

Came home along the Lodes Way, a largely car free route.
I've just come back from a week's holiday in Austria where every town and village seems to be linked with such cycle paths (below). I reckon you could cycle the length of the country along such routes- bliss (though maybe with a few more hills thrown in than hereabouts). Here, with our crap motoring centric approach to transport policy, we can only dream of such things, but paths like this (on Burwell Fen), where they exist are welcome - and extremely pleasant.

Burwell Fen.jpg

With a new chain and cassette after 3500 or so miles, and a bunch of other stuff the LBS fixed, the bike is handling like new again and should see me through another year. Was a great 12 mile ride home in the Spring sunshine and heard the first chiffchaff of the year as well. Summer is on its way and hopefully the 6 house martins I saw on Saturday in Austria heading north will be following me home soon.

Last edited:
40166-6ba9ed809e57215431ee1a63b8ada146.jpg

This was the start of Sundays ride up the Eden Valley to Armathwaite via Wetheral viaduct Castle Carrock and along the back roads to Newbiggin, it was rather hilly before catching sight of the Viaduct at Dry Beck which carries the Carlisle to Settle line. 27 mile of mixed hills and flat with a variable wind that was more than playful at times Probably spent more time taken photos than I normally would but it's all part of the ever lasting learning curve and what a place to learn. There was more to this thread but as it is getting late and I am tired I deleted the other photos

rualexander

Legendary Member
The longer days are making getting further afield easier so a one hour drive north yesterday resulted in a good day out riding from Strathyre to St Fillans and back, including a circuit of Loch Earn and some of NCN 7.
rps20140317_175357_635.jpg rps20140317_175430_879.jpg rps20140317_175508_310.jpg rps20140317_175532.jpg rps20140317_175556_597.jpg

Another glorious day here in Mallorca. Today was a ride up to Lluc via the Coll de sa Battala. Great climb - 7km at an average of 7%. From there is was a very fast descent to Pollensa. 105km today with just over a 1000m of climbing. I could get used to this.

Some pictures for your perusal -

Sunset last night from my balcony
001_zps25c9c4ea.jpg

Café stop

002_zps245eb81c.jpg

Start of descent
003_zps38ecc69f.jpg

Back to the hotel and it was time for a paddle in the sea to help ease the muscles
004_zps545ee5a2.jpg

More to follow tomorrow

Spartak