Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Andy is your last photo on the road to Earl Sterndale ?. Spent a week there lovely area for cycling ,E bike is a good choice it's a bit hilly

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Andy is your last photo on the road to Earl Sterndale ?. Spent a week there lovely area for cycling ,E bike is a good choice it's a bit hilly

Yes, Phil we were literally just around the corner from the village. Went to the pub a few times

Never been to this part of the peak district before.

It is extremely hilly in places, the hills would have killed off most of us on one of the rides.

The Ebikes made everything so pleasant even with the super strong winds we had each day.

Wife's bike allows her to climb monster hills with ease and get a good 40 miles of range- which plenty for her

We had a complete novice and a few out of practice riders, everyone coped admirably, no mechanicals, just a few sore legs and bums :laugh:

We were extremely lucky re the weather, all the rain came at night ,only the last ride coming back did we get wet, this was mainly from huge puddles we couldn't avoid. We got over to Tissington via the rail track trail

20240407_152219.jpg

13 rider

Guru
Knew it Andy recognised instantly , I have a very similar photo on my phone , I went up I didn't take my TCR which was running due to a crank issue 53/39 chainrings andd a 28 on the back just wouldn't have got up the hills but took my Defy with much more sensible 50/34 and a 30 on the back made it up everything some only just

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I don't know what the gradients were, easily 10%+

For a bit of fun we found a dirt track which was super steep and made a huge shortcut on a hairpin road section. Full power and we were doing 10mph up this track. A lot more restrained on the roads and trails, but the kids wanted to try out the capabilities of their bikes :biggrin:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
You will be able to react faster to everyones breakaways, less latency ^_^

I often can't see any other riders, so I'll be happy just getting that functionality back :laugh: Anything else on top will be a bonus :wahhey:

Also means I should be able to use Discord too, or music ... until now just Zwift on it's own was bringing the connection down so I couldn't risk anything else :cursing: If all goes to plan, this is going to transform my Zwifting again :becool:

steverob

Guru
Some great racing from all who took part in the second round of the Tour de Splitters tonight. I had a good battle with Carl and Harry on the second climb, having got dropped from the front group on the first dirt section of the lead-in.

Results now look like this:
1712685780339.png

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Really enjoyed it , sorry for those non climbers I really pushed it on the lead in trying to drop Andy on the climbs , I was hoping to get towed away by Peter but he's too good , so I crested just ahead of Andy who then attacked me on the downhill a move I knew was coming but even with an aero Pu he got away so it was just a case of keeping the gap down and chasing him up the climbs . 14 secs at the bottom got within 7 secs with 700mts to go where my legs gave in and I pulled the pin just left too much too do in too short of a distance

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I enjoyed the result when I finished, but that was a real slog. I was expecting Carl and at least Harry to be in the mix, being much lighter than me.

Phil really put the pressure on in the last third of the first climb, I struggled to hold his wheel, gapped but got back as the gradients lessoned. A burst of power just before the road tipped steeper, with steering, got me the all important gap, which I managed to hold onto.

Pete showed his class and rode away, putting over a minute into the rest of us.- he needs some competition from Paul, Michael

Video is uploading so will post when rendering finishes

mjd1988

Guru
Sounds like you guys had more fun than I had! Hopefully be back for the next round of tour de splitters.

My dirt league is killer and I'm out of my depth. Dropped on first (v short non segment) climb and in a group of 3 at the very back. Legs just had nothing. Joined another race on flats but could barely hold 2.5w/kg and heart rate sitting really low so think I need a few nights sleep as well.

Upshot is I think I'll leave the dirt league, there's only one person on my team and there's no tactics or anything, we both just get dropped immediately!

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Some great racing from all who took part in the second round of the Tour de Splitters tonight. I had a good battle with Carl and Harry on the second climb, having got dropped from the front group on the first dirt section of the lead-in.

Results now look like this:
View attachment 727117

I thought that first gravel section was the climb ... I was a little disheartened when I realised that the real climb was much longer and harder :B) I'm fine for a couple of minutes of effort on hills, but haven't got the legs to hang on longer, so had to let Andy and Phil go on the first ascent. I rested as much as I could once you and Harry caught me, but I was in the red going into climb two. I knew there was a flattish section at the top so I timed my last bit of energy to chase you and Harry on the climb after you initially dropped me ... legs were jelly so all I could do at the end was hang on to your wheels and let you drag me to the finish line.

Great race though everyone. A good work out.

steverob

Guru
I thought that first gravel section was the climb ... I was a little disheartened when I realised that the real climb was much longer and harder :B) I'm fine for a couple of minutes of effort on hills, but haven't got the legs to hang on longer, so had to let Andy and Phil go on the first ascent. I rested as much as I could once you and Harry caught me, but I was in the red going into climb two. I knew there was a flattish section at the top so I timed my last bit of energy to chase you and Harry on the climb after you initially dropped me ... legs were jelly so all I could do at the end was hang on to your wheels and let you drag me to the finish line.
I couldn't hold the pace on the first section, got dropped with Harry, worked hard to almost get back on (got the Draft message on screen and everything) but the pace went up again and I was already in the red so had to drop back. Then Harry and I tackled the main climb together, we overtook Steen, then caught Carl just after the top and we rode as a three from there with none of us quite having enough power to be able to drop the others.

I decided to chance my arm with an early attack on the final ascent and did get a gap but not a particularly big one. Managed to hold it for quite a while but then Carl started to come back at me and eventually caught me with about two thirds of a mile remaining. Knowing that both of us probably didn't have a lot left in the tank after those efforts, but also that he's a much better sprinter than me, I left it as late as possible before going for it and just did enough to take 4th by 0.8 seconds. Amazed that I was 18 seconds faster on the KOM segment second time around compared to the first.

Here's a 2x speed version of the final climb only (cause you don't really want to sit through the whole thing again!) from my perspective:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7_sKCOaFHU

Last edited:
Top Bottom