When is it going to stop... Raining

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We were on the number 39 bus travelling between Gare Montparnasse and Gare du Nord in Paris earlier this afternoon. The city was enjoying beautiful Spring sunshine. At St Pancras, it was cold and wet. Even so, it's good to be home.

Brandane

Legendary Member
The answer to the OP is "not today". Heavy rain all day on the Costa Clyde. A brief break from the rain tomorrow, but still quite windy. Then it's showers and windy for the foreseeable. Certainly not the kind of weather to fill me with enthusiasm for 2 wheels :rolleyes:.

DogmaStu

I struggle with the UK weather. It’s quite literally depressing for me and makes many of my cycle rides a fitness chore where usually they would always be fun.

I escaped in 2016 but back last year…what one does for the love of a woman eh?

But plans are in motion to get away permanently again, back to Portugal or a return to where I grew up in South Africa.

In the meantime, we’re visiting those countries as often as possible!

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Got away with it today, but the bike still needed hosing and washing off from the mud, as did my Winter boots - needed to get the mud off the soles as I was treadding it into work - at least a 500m walk from the bike shed to the disabled loo, and I dropped a load of mud off the shoes in there.... whoops.

dicko

Guru
IMG_2265.png

Brandane

Legendary Member
But plans are in motion to get away permanently again, back to Portugal or a return to where I grew up in South Africa.

You are fortunate to have that option.
I also grew up in the sunshine (age 6 to 14 in Jamaica) which is one reason why I think I also struggle with our weather in the west of Scotland. I came back here permanently aged 20, so 42 years and I still haven't acclimatised to this cold, wet, grey, windy stuff!
Sadly I only have a British passport, and have got to the stage where one or 2 medical issues means that I am reliant on the NHS (God help me then!) as I don't have the endless funds needed for the treatment of existing conditions if I was to go abroad.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You are fortunate to have that option.
I also grew up in the sunshine (age 6 to 14 in Jamaica) which is one reason why I think I also struggle with our weather in the west of Scotland. I came back here permanently aged 20, so 42 years and I still haven't acclimatised to this cold, wet, grey, windy stuff!
Sadly I only have a British passport, and have got to the stage where one or 2 medical issues means that I am reliant on the NHS (God help me then!) as I don't have the endless funds needed for the treatment of existing conditions if I was to go abroad.
The weather and the even shorter winter hours of daylight are what put me off moving to Scotland!

Is there any chance that you could move to SW England for their much improved weather, while still having the NHS available?

tyred

Legendary Member
Where I am, it only rains for fifteen minutes every quarter of an hour.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Just looked out, it's not raining at all
We've had months of the stuff oop North in never sunny again Manchester. Slop everywhere. Sick of it.

When can I have some sunshine and slightly dry trails ? Not even touched the full suspension since about July, and the CX bike has been running road tyres and mudguards.

Erm, I think you'll find if you look out of my window it's not raining at all, are you on a windup?

Ripple

Veteran
My mum successfuly keeps annoying me about how nice the weather is back in LT. :angry: Apparently 2 days ago it was +25'C there. One town even recorded +28'C ! Ok it's back to usual normal temperatures there now but at least LT had a taste of a nice weather. Ashford doesn't have even a whiff of it. :angry:
Well ... at least the winters are waaaay milder in UK and not so bleak. :thumbsup:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Is there any chance that you could move to SW England for their much improved weather, while still having the NHS available?

Move.... to ENGLAND??? :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:
@Accy cyclist would track me down and spread the word, with some posts on the football thread of this site as proof of my affection for all things English. I would soon be hounded out of town and sent homewards "tae think again" :laugh:.
Anyway, it seems the weather down south is becoming much the same as ours! And most importantly, I couldn't afford your property prices.

The weather and the even shorter winter hours of daylight are what put me off moving to Scotland!

I lived in England between 2002 and 2017, originally in Liverpool, then around various parts of Manchester / Salford. Having now moved to the east side of central Scotland the weather is definitely better here with notably less rainfall per annum.

Tenkaykev

Guru
A side effect of the constant wet weather is that the local football pitches are unplayable. There's a rec around the corner and we'd got used to the sounds of Saturday morning football games, it's been silent for several weeks now. There's also a local company that puts on several off road running events each year. They have an excellent relationship with the various farmers whose land they cross and the events are always oversubscribed, sadly they've had to cancel several events.

DogmaStu

I have lived 30 years of my life in places where you get 300 days a year of Sunshine. That’s what I shall return to within the next 12/24 mths.

Cannot wait!

Top Bottom