£100 Front Light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Be aware that some of those lights can both dazzle if set up wrong (they're designed for off-road, mountain biking), and that if used in the wrong setting that the light will mask any hand signals.

I would recommend the B&M lights for road use, and the Exposure for a mixture of road and off-road (Race/Strada). You will pay slightly more though.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
The Magicshine MJ-808 is a good light but the build quality isn't as good. The claimed lumens is also far off what it produces.
It has a wide spread but still produces a good spot. The battery from mine has pretty much died after 1.5 years of use.
I bought 2nd official battery from here during the winter http://www.bestofferbuy.com/magicshine-4pcs-18650-lithium-battery-cell-mj828-p-66446.html about £20, ships from Hong Kong so might run risk of some import duty although mine was fine. Works on my mj-872 and my friends mj-816, so presumably will work on a mj-808 too, might be worth it :smile:

daSmirnov

I've got a set of Terra 2's and a Magicshine 808, the one without the mickey mouse ears (and a rear 818) on my bike.

Terra 2's are nice and bright, battery lasts for ages. I use them as my daylight running lamps :-) They're no where near as bright as the MJ, and if you're going to be on unlit roads at night, you won't be able to bomb along full power as you won't be able to see far enough ahead to go much faster than 20 mph. The MJ front lights on full power drain battery fast, couple of hours if that.

They're also well built, (although the wire is a bit cheap). The Magicshine stuff is cheaply made in comparison, plastic, rubber rings for mounts, but the light output is good.

If you wanna video to have a look at my lights I can put one together.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Im using a magicshine MJ808 now since my lights got nicked yesterday.I made my own battery pack which didn't seem reliable but worked fine this morning.Reckon that may be a charger issue.Got the old cree as a backup,same type as the two that were nicked.

Got the rear magicshine which is brilliant as well.

Top Bottom