£1000 Road bike...any suggestions ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WobblyBob

Hi, I realise this has probably been covered to death but i'm on the look out for a road bike on the C2W scheme, so upto £1000 to spend.

I am a relative noob as i've only been cycling about 2 months on my Crosstrail Comp, but my wife has taken a fancy to it aswell & i'm finding i'm doing most of my rides on the road anyway...hence fancying a road bike & letting the other half use the Crosstrail when she fancies.

I would ideally like the Shimano 105 groupset....& i'm a bit of a short arse at 5'7" with a 29" inside leg so not sure if some bikes are more suited for taller or shorter riders at all ???

The only one i fancy at the moment is a Trek 2.1 as my LBS stock Trek & Spesh.

I will use it for my commute & for longer weekend rides...even the odd Sportive (if i ever get to that level)

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Cheers

Robeh

GentlyBenevolent

I'm loving my Felt Z85 2012, really nice to ride. Ticks the 105 groupset box and should come in a fair bit under your budget - they were around £700 when I got mine, seems more like £750 now. I'm a little taller + little longer in the leg than you, but I think I've got the 51cm frame. See if you can find one for a sit-on.

Evans might have some left: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/felt/z85-2012-road-bike-ec032711
Review: http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/latest-bikes/road-bike/felt/z85/prd_449734_5668crx.aspx

defy-one

Giant Defy
Cube Peleton race
Boardman race
Specialized Allez

At £1k the choice is amazing anf none of these are bad bikes. Sit on all of them. Try and ride where possible

Robeh

My m8 got the carbon version for £1000 ,well he paid £1250 and got £250 pound to spend on accessories.
I think the aluminium version is still a good bike tho.
very little difference in weight between the carbon and the aluminium..i looked @ both and went for the aluminium....

U

User6179

very little difference in weight between the carbon and the aluminium..i looked @ both and went for the aluminium....

Yes i noticed that , i doubt they will be much difference in performance either.

Basil.B

Guru
Giant Defy 1 :thumbsup:

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

Thanks, some great suggestions there......i really rate the Boardman bikes but really not sure about the 'Halfords' factor as i'm not at all handy with the spanners unfortunately, out of the other bikes mentioned i like the sound of the Felt Z85 & of course the Defy 1 which seems to crop up again & again as a quality £1k bike, i suppose the best course of action would be to get out & find some locally to try out or at least sit on anyway as i don't think i could really go wrong with any of them to be honest !

Out of interest has anyone any experience of the 'Orbea' bikes ? I went to a bike shop today & they stocked them, had an interesting 'Aqua' model for £950 with full 105 groupset, carbon forks/post, shimano hubs & even shimano clippy pedals included....looked quite nice actually.

Basil.B

Guru
I was looking at Orbea bikes a month or so ago.
Like the look of them, seem good value for the money.
Not ridden one though.
If I were you I would try and get a test ride on one. The Aqua for £950 seems a very good buy!

ELPTX51

I just got a Defy 1 a month ago and I'm really liking it! I'm your same dimensions (5'7" w/ 29" inseam) and got the small frame. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a quality bike with a nice groupset.

Top Bottom