£1000 to spend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

outlash

also available in orange
+1 on trying them out. You'd be amazed just how different bikes can feel even just by taking them for a quick spin. I went through the same process as you with roughly the same budget and ended up with a Cannondale CAAD8 which I'm very happy with.

Tony.

OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
I like Specialized bikes. Sure they are more expensive like Cannondale's are too. But they offer a lifetime warranty on frames and so have I read offer very good customer service, I believe Cannondale are great in that respect too.
I did consider the specialized range but was somewhat overwhelmed by all the model categorys!
Join British Cycling for £25 (or perhaps less if you use quidco), get 10% off at Halfords on all purchases
Good to know ty!

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
The Boardman did have a bad reputation with a large bad batch of BB30 bearing being installed (bearing were installed dry during assembly) but I'm sure these have been phased out of the system by now. The bearings lasted about 70 miles on my Boardman CX and after re-greasing lasted not much further, so I switched them out for sram BB30's and I've not had a single glitch since.

OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
The Boardman did have a bad reputation with a large bad batch of BB30 bearing being installed (bearing were installed dry during assembly) but I'm sure these have been phased out of the system by now. The bearings lasted about 70 miles on my Boardman CX and after re-greasing lasted not much further, so I switched them out for sram BB30's and I've not had a single glitch since.
Yeah, I've been reading up on that. Did you change the chainset or just the BB? Sorry if it is obvious but my knowledge is limited!

OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
I just changed the BB bearings, instead of buying FSA bearing (in case I bought a bad set) I opted for the sram BB30 ones ... swapping them over, it wasn't all that difficult to do either.
Thanks. I really need to find out more about bikes; components and maintenance etc!

Off topic but can anyone point me to a good website to learn about this sort of stuff?

I'm sure there are hundreds but I'd appreciate some personal recommendations.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
YOUTUBE is your friend ... pretty much anything you wish to learn by viewing, can be found on there ;)

Johnym

Also make sure the bottom bracket is correctly greased before you collect bike. Mine wasn't despite them supposedly being on top of the issue. Will save you a trip back to store when it starts creaking.

OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
Also make sure the bottom bracket is correctly greased before you collect bike. Mine wasn't despite them supposedly being on top of the issue. Will save you a trip back to store when it starts creaking.
I'm all over that issue. Discussed it with their top mechanic on several occasions. He says this was rectified at the factory some time ago and all bikes now come properly greased. But I will make sure it is checked.

Johnym

That's what they told me till it started creaking, bottom bracket was dry as a bone. As long as you Halfords mechanic is aware you should be ok :-)

Top Bottom