£110 worth of tyre; it lasted 100 miles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Motorbike MOT expires on 7th October, and the back tyre was needing replaced. So I bought the tyre from a reasonably priced on line retailer for about £110. Fellow bikers will know the hassle of getting a new tyre fitted cheaply (i.e. not paying dealer labour rates) which involves removing the rear wheel (not easy) then taking it to a tyre fitter, getting new tyre fitted, then re-fitting wheel.

Took the bike to Glasgow this morning for its MOT, and it passed :cheers:. There was however 1 advisory, regarding ...... a nail in the back tyre :cursing:. As it is a ZR speed rated tyre, it is illegal to have it repaired, apparently. So the new tyre is scrap, after less than 100 miles. Unless I am willing to place it in the hands of a less scrupulous bike dealer who might just patch it for me. A mixed kind of day I am having!

PS... Only 1800 miles between MOTs; this cycling lark is having a detrimental effect on my petrol burning exploits :whistle:. I used to cover about 7k miles per year on the motorbike, plus about 20k by car (it's now down to between 5k and 8k per year thanks to no commute to work).

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
At least the front one's OK...

Archie_tect

Friend had a touring m/bike and he and his wife went all over Europe for 3 weeks each summer, but a Polish car driver ran them down at a roundabout and his wife has lost her confidence to go on the replacement so their summers are spoilt forever. He only does less than 1000 miles a year on his m/bike now and is thinking of selling it.

Best I can manage is a set of four at approx £500 on a 2 week trip round europe, mind you the return did take in a visit to the Nordschleife :whistle:

Archie_tect

Employee picked up a nail in the side wall of his new tyre on the way back from Motorway Tyre Services... that cost me £260 in less than 5 hours.

Firestorm

Veteran
Had a rear puncture on the Storm and a week after replacing it saw a screw right in the middle of the new tyre.Probably no more than 40 miles on 140 quids worth of tyre. Still had all the little bits of rubber on the chicken strips

Top Bottom