£1500 limit (ish)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

festival

Über Member
I was sure there was someone on here that recommends Giant to all the 'what bike shall I buy' queries, even if a Giant is not shortlisted. Festival, do you work for Giant? Just wonderin'.

Actually, looking back, I probably sound like the unofficial Cannondale propaganda machine :smile:

FWIW I'm sure Giant bikes are great - I've never had the pleasure of riding one though.

No.
But I do have some experience of the world of cycling within the trade and racing.
There are are a lot of bikes out there nowadays that are very good in different ways and some are not all they appear.
That doesn't mean they are rubbish, but just because its light and has better than usual kit on also doesn't mean its the best bike.

Years ago I was given one of the first Trek OCLV's to race on and found I had to put a couple of extra spacers than would be normal on the fork column and a 1cm longer h/b stem on to get the position right for me. They did have a low front compared to some frames, ( have a look at early pictures of Armstrong and he also had more spacers than usual) It was a fantastic frame for the times but many people commented on maybe the frame was too small, it wasn't.
My reason for saying that is to recognise many of us have to make tweaks to get things right

But many people jump on a new bike and love the lightness and how the kit works etc and due to their lack of experience and knowledge don't realise that the set up, position is wrong, the size is wrong, the geometry is wrong etc etc, and the way the frame is made is going to punish their body over a long ride unnecessarily if only they had chosen something more suitable.
Having done my homework, that's why I rate the Giant range.
You wouldn't believe how many of these bargain bikes have frames that are poorly finished and are built out of track.

Its sooo easy to be negative I know, but I do like to see the pro's & con's, but If you get the frame wrong its a big con as opposed to upgrading the kit on the right frame over time.
E.G. I am talking about frames produced cheaply that may be light & stiff but transmit vibration from the road through the frame making the ride less comfortable and controllable and the geometry is not suitable to the average club/sportive/leisure rider .

Also, sometimes you just cant help some people.
There is plenty of stuff in this world I don't know about but, Its not uncommon to see e.g. a picture on here of someones road bike with a zillion fork column spacers under the stem and the saddle pushed forward and pointing down and they say ' I chose it because its got ultegra and its a lovely looking bike ', or something similar, I do wonder!

Howard

^ great response, thanks.

Sensible stuff

^ Not bored anymore - just ordered my Cannondale CAAD10 Dura-Ace :hyper:

assets_2011_cannondale_road_CAAD10_caad-10-1-black.jpg.001fdad44407c592f12c021da5533d08.png

I've done a deal on the wheels as well so when I collect it she'll be wearing a pair of 2011 Kysrium SL's :wub:
112164.jpg

I'll be picking her up some time next week and I'll write a review as soon as I get some miles under her, just need to think of a name for her now :thumbsup:

zexel

Veteran
Has the budget increased a bit!

Sexy bit of kit.

I think it's supposed to be the 'best' aluminium frame out there?

Be interesting (for me) to know how much it weighs with the new wheels. Could you let us know?

Has the budget increased a bit!

Sexy bit of kit.

I think it's supposed to be the 'best' aluminium frame out there?

Be interesting (for me) to know how much it weighs with the new wheels. Could you let us know?

Must apologise, I guess I've hijacked the original thread with my last post, sorry!

I'll try and weigh it when it arrives and let you know.

zexel

Veteran
Must apologise, I guess I've hijacked the original thread with my last post, sorry!

I'll try and weigh it when it arrives and let you know.

Doh, didn't realise it wasn't the OP.

Yeah, cool, thanks for that smokeysmoo.

Garz

Squat Member
Read the latest C+ review so they seem great value. I did however hear the alu is very easy to dent so be careful when she arrives!

I did however hear the alu is very easy to dent so be careful when she arrives!

I've read that too, but she's be treated with kid gloves and wrapped up at night :whistle:

At the end of the day, any metals going to dent if it's hit hard enough, but I'd rather have a dented alu frame than a damaged carbon one :eek:

Plus, the report I read didn't qualify what had caused the dent, or even if the bike was theirs and the story they were telling was their own experience or just relayed, (and usually exaggerated) info.

Epic! What changed that made you go for the DA version? It's pretty much my dream machine with Mavic wheelset :smile:

Sorry Howard, I'm not the OP. The DA version was always my intention, and when I went to order it I saw the SL's and just had to have them. They did me a good deal for the stock RS80's, and I picked her up last Friday. Haven't stopped looking at her yet and don't think I ever will :thumbsup:

PS: she weighs in at 16.5 lbs, and that's for a 60cm frame :wacko:

Top Bottom