£350 Hybrid Suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tinners

Hi there,

I recently had my old bike nicked (a rubbish 10 year old Carrera mountain bike), and my insurance company has said I can have a new bike for up to £350 (although if I want something more expensive I can have a discount).

Can anyone recommend anything for me from here? www.wheelies.co.uk

I'm basically after a pure hybrid, comfy but not really slow. The two that caught my eye are the Kona Dew 2011 and the Giant Escape 4 City 2011, but any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Sticking to the Carrera theme, there is the Carrera Subway 8 with Halfords at £280, reduced from £350 or thereabouts.

It's a light frame, Hubs gears and roller brakes. Perfect year round hybrid

e-rider

crappy member
The Kona Dew is a well designed bike and geneally a very good choice - however, Kona's build quality seems to have gone down the pan since they started producing bikes in all kinds of south east asian countries such as cambodia; so don't expect to much on that front.

The globe Vienna range are good value for money. The Globe vienna 3 was reduced to £300 at a lot of shops recently - bargain I'd say.

edit: you have already suffered enough - don't get another carrera

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I can't recommend any particular bike, but....

.....get a 2010 model, not a 2011 one. A 2009 one would be even better.

More bike for your money, not just a load of expensive cosmetic styling.

My two cents.

Edit: A load of bike shops are discounting 2010 models quite wonderfully at this time of year. They want to shift "old" stock.

OP
OP
T

Tinners

Thanks for all the replies, really useful!
I've ended up plumping for the giant escape 4 as wheelies have it in stock.I'll report back with my findings.

battered

Guru
Good choice, that looks good. Strange that having said "I want a pure hybrid" (if that's not a contradiction in terms) you buy a MTB with sus forks, but there you are, it's a decent bike. On road I'd choose rigid forks, they are lighter and don't clatter when they wear out, but you won't be sorry with the Giant.

That reminds me... must refit rigid forks to the commuter bike, the susp forks on it are nearly done.

OP
OP
T

Tinners

Weird, that link i gave was wrong. This is the one I've bought

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p35748/Giant-Escape-4-City-2011.aspx

e-rider

crappy member
looks OK. strange that you ask for advice, many people suggest very nice bikes and then you just buy the one you were going to buy anyway. somewhat pointless exercise really

Top Bottom