£500-£700 rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I disagree, I have no rack and only one of those dirt monkey seat post mudguards on the back which are next to useless. Saying that I do have a shower at work :tongue:

I know the OP said a road bike, but if he is going commute all year round I would suggest he looks at a hybrid, that way he can put some winter tyres on it (I don't think you can get them for road bikes - I may be wrong) when the really crap winter weather hits.
I have a shower at work but I still like to have my commuting bike require as little maintenance as possible. Adding full length mudguards makes a big difference as to what can get on the chain.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I have a shower at work but I still like to have my commuting bike require as little maintenance as possible. Adding full length mudguards makes a big difference as to what can get on the chain.

I must admit, this time of year I do have to clean it a lot. Correction, I should clean it more than I do.

Reactions: gaz

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I disagree, I have no rack and only one of those dirt monkey seat post mudguards on the back which are next to useless. Saying that I do have a shower at work :tongue:

I know the OP said a road bike, but if he is going commute all year round I would suggest he looks at a hybrid, that way he can put some winter tyres on it (I don't think you can get them for road bikes - I may be wrong) when the really crap winter weather hits.

I commute all year round on a road bike. Just have to keep to gritted roads when it is icy, and fitted Crud Catchers to keep me and frame cleaner when it is wet.

Specialized Allez. Forget the rest.

No, no, no, no, no, and no again.

And I commute on an Allez. They're over-rated. My Trek 2nd District has a much better feeling frame, as does my Masi.

Buy mud guards, I've been at it almost two years without they're like a revelation.

Buddfox

Veteran
I've had a Peloton for nigh on two years, use it for all my cycling and swear by it. Suggest your friend tries some different models and picks the one they find most comfortable.

Top Bottom