£500 Budget...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

I have nothing to add to the recommendations except to say that £500 will get you a fantastic bike secondhand. Much less likely to have been abused than an MTB too.

domtyler

Über Member
Get one that can take a rear rack and mudguards and it will be far more versatile, i.e. you would have the option of using it for all year round commuting.

caz

Sorry to barge in here extersimon, but I'm in a similar position. I currently have a Trek hybrid and I'm looking to get a road bike too. It's interesting what domtyler said about getting one that can take mudguards as I'm finding that most of the Trek and Spech bikes don't have that facility. Are Giant the only ones that facilitate mudguards? Are you able to answer that query domtyler?

Mortiroloboy

I have a GIANT SCR4 which has clearance for full 'guards and mounts for a rack should you desire one of those, I suspect that the entire SCR range has these characteristics, as the frame is the same, only the level of componentry improves the higher up the range you go. Very comfortable too fairly relaxed geometry, not full on race, but good enough for the Sunday Club run :smile:

caz said:
Sorry to barge in here extersimon, but I'm in a similar position. I currently have a Trek hybrid and I'm looking to get a road bike too. It's interesting what domtyler said about getting one that can take mudguards as I'm finding that most of the Trek and Spech bikes don't have that facility. Are Giant the only ones that facilitate mudguards? Are you able to answer that query domtyler?

the Pilot 1.0 will take 'em and a rack. The Allez definetly had rack fittings but I can't remeber if it had mudguard eyes too. I think it was either or but not both. You can always fit race blades which are a paired down mudguard for bikes with no fittings.

caz

Thanks Crackle. Is the Pilot 1.0 still available? My LBS said it had been replaced and couldn't get any more in. They'd also told me about race blades. How effective are they? As good as full mudguards?

caz said:
Thanks Crackle. Is the Pilot 1.0 still available? My LBS said it had been replaced and couldn't get any more in. They'd also told me about race blades. How effective are they? As good as full mudguards?

errr......pass and pass. If it isn't available, it will have been replaced by an equivalent and there's a good chance you might pick up last years at a good price from somewhere. I've never used raceblades so I'll have to defer to someone else's experience but they're about half mudguard size so should keep your bum dry and a lot of the crud off your bike.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I find raceblades do keep the worst off, although the bike takes a lot more spray than with full guards. I use them on my summer bike occasionally- mainly if I'm commuting on it with the intention of going out for a longer ride after work, if it's raining in the morning I'll put them on. I wouldn't use them for regular winter use- full guards are significantly better.

Mortiroloboy

I have full guards on my winter bike, they keep the worst of the crud at bay, race blades don't keep the cr@p away from your brake calipers though, which is annoying as they are a pain to get clean once cacked in sh!te:blush:

I had an 06 Allez and, it definitely DID NOT have a rack mount on it, it was a pure racing thoroughbred LOL!!!!

Tetedelacourse

One thing to bear in mind, £500 will get you your Allez but you will have to fork out on clipless pedals if you want them. Spend a bit less and you'll be able to accessorise better.

But I have an Allez and me love she.

dbg

Check out the Focus Vareido? on Wiggle - way way better vfm than a Allez, my brother would know he's had both and he said the Focus was way way better vfm than a Focus - so there. Also I think some 2007 models are in the end of Jan sale - don't be put off if only small sizes are left either, he's 5' 10 " and a 52cm fits him perfectly, good wheels, Shimano 105 - you know it makes sense.

ash68

User259iroloboy said:
I have a GIANT SCR4 which has clearance for full 'guards and mounts for a rack should you desire one of those, I suspect that the entire SCR range has these characteristics, as the frame is the same, only the level of componentry improves the higher up the range you go. Very comfortable too fairly relaxed geometry, not full on race, but good enough for the Sunday Club run :cry:
I've just bought an scr3 07 model for £400, put full mudguards on and love it. joining the local club this weekend for a few sunday rides and wanted something a bit lighter than the spesh. tricross I use for commuting.Only sora/tiagra mix but for a winter bike they do the job. As you say there is mounts for a rear rack as well, seems a good bike alround really.

Tetedelacourse

exetersimon said:
Looks like a Spesh Allez is a good choice....and nice Robocop quote Tetedelacourse.

:biggrin::sad::ohmy::biggrin:

Well in for spotting it! I didn't think anyone else would make the connection!

I often like to use the quote when eating food in earshot of colleagues.

Top Bottom