£500 on a mountain bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c_g_24

Regular
Hi,

I am planning a trip for next year that will cover about 1000km over 2 weeks. I don't currently own a bicycle, so when I buy one I want to get one that I will be able to use again afterwards. It is for this reason I am getting a mountain bike rather than a hybrid, as I want use a bike offroad after my trip.

I have set a budget of around £500, however I could go higher if necessary. Does anyone have any advice on what to look for in a mountain bike? I need one that I can fit panniers to, is this going to be possible? If anyone has any bike recommendations for this price aswell that would be great.
Thanks

DavidD

Hi c g not many people will recommend a mountain bike for cycling 1000 km over a two week period as they are a lot heavier than a hybrid or a road bike, but there are a few options at that price range.
I own a Carrera kraken that I bought from halfords and had it for a number of years now and it has been a very capable all rounder.
Although there are options from most of the big manufacturers eg the giant talon have a couple of models in your price range.

buggi

Bird Saviour
I've got a Scott Aspect. RRP was £550, got the shop to knock the 50 off. Its a nice bike although a lot heavier than my road bike!!

Archeress

Veteran
I've got a GT Timberline 1.0 29er 2013 model that was bought for £260 as it was an old model. I have gone out on 20 mile club rides on road with it and found it to be an easy ride. The 2014 model probably falls within your budget. The only thing with it is whether you could get a rack or trailer that would fit the large diameter wheels.

Hugs
Archeress x

sazzaa

Hi,

I am planning a trip for next year that will cover about 1000km over 2 weeks. I don't currently own a bicycle, so when I buy one I want to get one that I will be able to use again afterwards. It is for this reason I am getting a mountain bike rather than a hybrid, as I want use a bike offroad after my trip.

I have set a budget of around £500, however I could go higher if necessary. Does anyone have any advice on what to look for in a mountain bike? I need one that I can fit panniers to, is this going to be possible? If anyone has any bike recommendations for this price aswell that would be great.
Thanks

I'd go cyclocross, it's a dream on roads and trails!

John Phelan

Hi,

Thanks
Scott Aspect or Giant Revel

regards John

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyclist33

Hi,

Thanks

Depending where you live, and if you can cope with sourcing, buying and getting installed a set of forks and a headset to go with them, you could have my 2010 Marin Bobcat Trail (forkless) which I would part with for £250...

Stu

Top Bottom