£500 to spend and v confused - please help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
hoolio said:
Thanks for the response everybody.

Paulus - Thanks for your choice - I'm thinking about the 09 trek 7.5 which is £40 more than the 2010 7.3 but seems to have better components. What do you think?

OP
OP
H

hoolio

i'm going to see if i can try some out locally - not sure of my chances there but off to bikeshed, halfords and lbs.

i'm going to try out a bike with front suspension and see how i go as i do quite like a couple of the hybrids that have front suspension - particularly the giant that has it incorporated into the head of the forks as opposed to each fork individually

g00se

Veteran
Hi,

Just to indicate how heavy cheap front forks are, I saw a Trek 7.3FX and a Trek 7300 next to each other in a bike shop (The 7300 is basically the 7.3 with front sus).

They were displayed with the rear wheels in mobile wheel racks so it was possible to lift the front up off the ground by pulling up on the handlebar stems. The 7.3 was nice and light an easy to lift one-handed. The 7300 was ridiculously more heavy to lift up. I knew front sus forks were heavy but never realised how heavy until I did this!

OP
OP
H

hoolio

so i just went down to the lbs and they gave me a test drive on a scott sub 30 and scott sportster p3 - if that's the equivalent with suspension. The sportster as well as having nobbly tyres had the front suspension making comparison difficult and not too bothered about extra weight too much as i'm in this to get in shape.

off to bikeshed tomorrow for more test drives.

truth is i loved both and the lbs owner offered me a great deal better than anything on the internet so am tempted to take one or the other regardless as i know he'll make my life easier in the long run.

Norm

A good lbs helps. :smile:

I've just been out on my Talon, set off just after 10pm (doing a lights test, as posted elsewhere) and did a 6 mile loop, about half of which was off road and I love having the front suspension at this time of year. The roads are not that good to ride, both because of contamination and the potholes which cold, wet weather create, and my MTB is getting a lot of use because of that.

That said, I think a hybrid would be right for you but, with your desire to take to the trails, I'd consider one which is an MTB built for the road rather than a road bike with flat bars.

Top Bottom