£800-1000 London Commuter Road Bike - Carbon or Aluminium?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jsaipe

Über Member
So I had a crash last week and wrecked my beloved Cube Peloton Pro (2012) not to mention various body parts. The Peloton Pro served me well over 2 years and 7000 miles, and it's now time to replace it. :sad:

I need a bike that I can thrash on the roads of London every day and occasionally take for a 25-50 mile ride on sundays. My budget is £800-1000. (I figured there's no point spending more on a commuter bike).

My instinct says don't go for a carbon frame, one, because it'll be bottom end quality and, two, because it won't endure London's potholes and speed humps as well as aluminium. Heckle me at will ^_^

My main preferences are: 105 groupset, internal cable routing, good wheels (Mavic or Fulcrum?).

Brands I've shortlisted so far are: Cube, Felt, Ribble, Planet X

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Aluminium, or even steel

With bosses for rack and guard

OP
OP
jsaipe

jsaipe

Über Member
My brain says get another Cube (Peloton Pro or Race) but my heart says get something different just for the sake of it.

Funny how Cube seems popular on this forum but I don't tend to see many on the streets of London. Maybe they're for rural folk ^_^

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
The Giant Defy is slacker, longer head tube, reminds me of my current Giant SCR2 which has the stem slammed to suit me, however the spec is nowhere near the Cube. Defy I`m sure will be comfy, Cube a tad more racey.

Top Bottom