£800 to spend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Onyer

Would I notice much difference between the trek & carrera?
What you will notice is the difference between a good carbon frame and an ally frame. I bought a Spesh Roubaix to replace my ally framed bike and the difference was amazing. No longer the numb hands through the road buzz, or the feeling of being shattered after a long ride. I rode LEJOG on the Roubaix last year and I'm glad I made the investment. Since then I have upgraded the components and the wheels to make it an even better bike. There are some good bikes on fleabay or gumtree to be had. I take your point about not trusting carbon frame from fleabay or gumtree, but if they are local to you go and have a look first. Domane is a good bike and come highly recommended.

Good luck with your search and try not to get too confused with all this advice.

nobbyp

I've just returned from an activity holiday where they had 1.5's as the standard bike - found it comfy and the Tiagra (when properly indexed) was smooth - couldn't really fault it other than I think you can get same quality and spec for less than £800 - I spent £650 on a Focus Culebro - which is normally £800

SteCenturion

I am your Father
@Thegreatthor
I 'personally' would ignore the Trek & go for the 2914 Cube Agree GTC at Pauls Cycles £799 (£819 at CRC) or the 2014 Giant Defy Composite 3, also Pauls Cycles, both perfect for Sportives etc.
The Cube has 10 speed Shimano Tiagra (plenty good enough) & Fulcrum Racing 77 wheel set & probably the best spec £ for £.
The Giant is very well respected & with a great frame warranty.

I have an aluminium Cube & mate has an Alu Giant Defy, can't fault 'em.

The CAAD8 on the above link, very very good value and a stunning bike.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
@Thegreatthor
I 'personally' would ignore the Trek & go for the 2914 Cube Agree GTC at Pauls Cycles £799 (£819 at CRC) or the 2014 Giant Defy Composite 3, also Pauls Cycles, both perfect for Sportives etc.
The Cube has 10 speed Shimano Tiagra (plenty good enough) & Fulcrum Racing 77 wheel set & probably the best spec £ for £.
The Giant is very well respected & with a great frame warranty.

I have an aluminium Cube & mate has an Alu Giant Defy, can't fault 'em.

The CAAD8 on the above link, very very good value and a stunning bike.

Top Bottom