£800 - what can I get?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

musa

Über Member
My work place is doing the cycle2work scheme which I may take advantage off

Looking for a commuter based and unfortunately, my work has opted for Halfords.
But having read through the info, I can source away from Halfords, if so what could I go for? I wanted to go for the full entitlement but can't edit form but I'm OK with the 800. I did look at the Boardman at £670 via Halfords but may source elsewhere.

I can get two bikes, according to the info on the factsheet. I've opted in for guards etc

mattobrien

Guru
Happy to be corrected, but I believe that Halfords are the exclusive UK supplier to a number of Boardman models.

I think that the consensus is if you do buy a Boardman from Halfords, then take it to your LBS to be checked over. Alternatively if you know one end of a spanner from the other, you could always get the bike unbuilt in its box and put it together yourself.

With a budget of £800, I would focus on getting one good bike, rather than two less good bikes, you will appreciate the one you have much more that way and it will be a much more enjoyable machine to ride.

And always good to budget for other essentials, such as the mudguards you mention, shorts, gloves, glasses and possibly a helmet.

vickster

Legendary Member
There are a few retailers who also accept the Halfords vouchers (or certainly did) -
Pearsons in Sutton/Sheen (who sell Specialized, Felt, Ridley among others),
On Your Bike at London Bridge (who sell Cannondale, Trek, Willier)
and Condor (although at the latter you'd be lucky to just get a frame or a pair of Rapha shorts :laugh: )

Through Halfords, you can source lots of other models, there's a list on their C2W site

OP
OP
musa

musa

Über Member
Yeah, I'll probably build it myself or part lbs supervision but I build it if that makes sense.

I'll contact the other shops mentioned to clarify

Edit: quick look on their website shows they partner the scheme

Now is a question of what to get.?

OP
OP
musa

musa

Über Member
Unfortunately, not a BC member only CTC

I've been looking at Pearsons for quite a while now

OP
OP