£927.98

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
That's what I have to spend with a credit note from Halfords to replace my stolen bikes, whooohoo.:evil: I have no idea where this figure came from as I only reported less monies worth of stolen bikes.

The credit note is for bikes and accessories, the bad news is that it is valued at RRP therefore I am intend to buy my lad a replacement bike from out of my own pocket, all the accessories also and blow the credit on one bike. Halfords will order me anything but it will be at RRP.

I am after advice how to spend the whole caboodle, I've asked before but my budget has now increased and then some! To re-cap, I had a Dawes Discovery 201 for road and canal path riding and a Dawes MTB to pull my daughters tag-a-long. I'd like one bike to do both jobs, the towpaths can be rough and I'd like to think that I could do some short 3-5 day tours too. My biking was 60% road/40% trail and I'd expect it to increase to 70% road max so I still need some strength in a bike, road models are out, MTB's are not necessary. Any model advice will be gratefully received.:blush:

BTW My bikes were stolen on the 6th of September, then I weighed approx 83kg, today I daren't look but last week I weighed in at 92kg.:biggrin:

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
a voodoo limba might be good, very pretty bike.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
It's not RRP on all things in-store, if something is on special offer then I can have it at the offer price. Everything else and any bike ordered in will be at RRP.:evil:

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Have a good look at the Carerra Subway 8 then. It's got hub gears and brakes, and is a very good bike. Flat bars, nearly-slick tyres. It's a great al-rounder. They're on the Halfords website.

My wife has the Subway 1 and loves it.

Just had a look on the Halfords site and some googled reviews, it certainly looks a good bike for the price but but what will I spend the remaining £562.49 on?:evil:

bonj2

why are you buying a bike for your lad out of your own pocket rather than spending the voucher on it :evil:

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
bonj said:
why are you buying a bike for your lad out of your own pocket rather than spending the voucher on it :evil:

The bikes in Halfords are shite, even if I find something for him on the net, Halfords will have to order it, he's waited long enough, I am going to take him around to some LBS's this weekend.

In answer to the question of the credit note, my policy is like for like, they will replace with the same bikes or similar, I can argue the toss forever but they are under no obligation to give me a cheque.

I went to Halfords yesterday, the staff were monosyllabic gits, totally clueless.

Anyway, where's my recommendations from you learned people?:biggrin:

What about a Kaffenback as recently posted in the gallery?

You can spec it how you please , Flat bar or drops it comes in on price and is uk built.

Personally I like the biege, it certainly better than the usual over graphic'd stuff.

Alternatives could be a tricross or such, but for the use described I would be looking to Planet X.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
If it has to be Halfords, their Boardman Urban Team got a glowing review (see the link) and seems to tick most of the boxes for £500. Dunno if you need mudguards or not, but that might be worth checking, as I can't see any in the pic accompanying the review. Should leave you money for a reduced Carrera roadie of some description too.

Edit: My bad, it says it has mounts for rack and guards in the article.

alfablue

Like for like does not mean you have to have a HAlfords credit note - it is just for their convenience (and probably profit), however I would say that not all Halfords bikes are shite - their Carrera and Boardman ranges are actually very good - what is shite is their no test-ride policy, and the very poor level of mechanical nouse applied when setting up (or not!) the bikes prior to sale - some Halfords have very good mechanics but that does seem to be the minority.

If you don't want the voucher, refuse, object, complain, and ultimately send a recorded delivery letter saying you are taking them to the OFT and / or small claims court (and mean it).

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
starseven said:
Halfords are just used as a dealer to source the bike.

Mark should be able to order any brand.

That's right, I can order anything I want. The insurers are under no obligation to give me a cheque, lets get that straight, my policy is "like for like" and that is what they are giving me. After umpteen phone calls, arguments and emails I now accept that. It's dealing with Halfords that is niggling me however, even so, I still seem to have more credit/cash than I claimed for. I must be lucky, I once pushed my luck and asked for £3k for a stolen Nissan Primera and got a cheque from my insurers for £3.6k:wacko:

Ideally with this amount of cash I could get two really nice (for me) bikes, a road bike and a hybrid but I can hardly move in the garage and one bike would be better. Thanks for the suggestions so far, I've looked at them all but at the mo I am thinking about ordering a Specialized Tricross.

Or...........I might get two bikes.:evil:

Andy Pandy

Halfords can supply planet-x and on-one bikes (I think). Their carbon road bike and scandal flat bar commuter are both round a grand. Far superior to Halfords own brand IMHO.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
ratty2k said:
http://www.planet-x-bikes.com/road/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=221

Planet X Kaffenback as mentioned earlier, Planet X and On-One are available thro' Halfords. £699 FOr the Kaffenback with Shimano 105 gear on it and £999 with Ultegra...... I can recommend the Kaffenback as a cracking bike, mine being the one posted in the gallery section. Comfy, fast, rack and mudguards can be fitted.

Could you tour on it? I mean, is it strong and comfy emough?

I've fired off an email to them.

Top Bottom