012 e fat bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and :welcome: Haza.

I should explain were mostly Brits on here but we do have quite a few members from across the pond.
I see you haven't had any response regarding your burnt out controller. The best solution might be to contact the maker/importer.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I wonder why they're illegal. They're as common as muck here in the US., big wheels, small wheels, step-throughs, as well as normal e-bikes.
Throttle control alone - over here it has to be pedal assisted and then only up to 15.5mph when the motor cuts out. It would e classified as a moped and would require to be road registered and insured as such
The motors are also limited to 250w (I think) and this has a 1000w motor.

See here for our regulations: https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

(Edited to include the regulations)

classic33

Leg End Member
I wonder why they're illegal. They're as common as muck here in the US., big wheels, small wheels, step-throughs, as well as normal e-bikes.
European refulations on motor power and speed. It's outside of those regulations, it's classed as a motor vehicle requiring, MOT, VED and insurance.

In much the same way that the Velove Armadillo used by DHL over here isn't covered by US regulations.
DHL and UPS are currently restricted to three wheels if they wish to be classified as a pedal cycle, and not a motor vehicle.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Personally I wouldn't buy one of them - they are death traps. The cash has gone into the motor and battery. Everything else on those bikes is off a Wall Mart special $99 bike - not a great idea when these things can do 30 mph without pedaling.

CharleyFarley

Throttle control alone - over here it has to be pedal assisted and then only up to 15.5mph when the motor cuts out. It would e classified as a moped and would require to be road registered and insured as such
The motors are also limited to 250w (I think) and this has a 1000w motor.

See here for our regulations: https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

(Edited to include the regulations)
So strictly speaking, they're not illegal, but must conform to regulations set for mopeds or scooters. There wouldn't be much point in having one in that case.

figbat

Slippery scientist
So strictly speaking, they're not illegal, but must conform to regulations set for mopeds or scooters. There wouldn't be much point in having one in that case.
Yes. Strictly speaking you can own one and use it on private land with the land owners’ permission, so long as it isn’t on a public right of way. I suspect that getting one registered as a road-going vehicle would be prohibitively expensive and difficult and would render it less useful as a bicycle since you could only use it on designated roads, not on cycle paths, bridlepaths etc. And you’d need to wear a motorcycle helmet and respect speed limits.

Top Bottom