1.5 metres ?

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by gavroche, 9 Aug 2018.

1. gavroche

gavroche Getting old but not past it

I wonder how many motorists, coach and lorry drivers are actually aware of it ? On my ride this afternoon, on the A470 , I lost count of the number of cars and coaches passing me just 1 foot away. I know I am a OAP but I intend to live a few more years yet.

2. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

From experience, very few.

dave r and FishFright like this.
  3. 1.5 isn't the law. I don't even think it's in the highway code.

So, yeah, drivers don't know it. They also don't know the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow. Let's get it into law (or at least the highway code)

Edit: Does the Highway code use metres. If not, they should. If they already do, then let's be adults and get rid of miles.

4. guitarpete247

guitarpete247 Just about surviving

I've had so many cars and trucks come at me on my side of the road. Most I reckon are Italians.

5. guitarpete247

guitarpete247 Just about surviving

Usually round blind bends.

6. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

It would be a good thing to have in law. That drivers don't see it as common sense to leave that kind of gap when overtaking....

dave r likes this.
  7. Crackle

Crackle Pah

What! Antipodean 5th columner alert.

Alan O, raleighnut and jefmcg like this.
  8. I was weaned on miles. Despite that, it feels medieval.

(dodged a bullet, my year was the first that didn't learn miles. My teachers knew fark all about the metric system, so I learnt about hecta/hecti/centa/centi etc. Metric is way more complex than SI.

9. dantheman

dantheman Veteran

It's not technically law but kind of technically is, there's guidance explaining it on some police websites and as I understand it that at least 3 counties police forces were said to be enforcing it with up to 3 points on licence and £100 fine.....???

10. jarlrmai

jarlrmai Veteran

1.5 metres is written down nowhere, laws or the highway code.

The only way the police can be "enforcing" it is by classifying it as careless or dangerous driving.

dave r and jefmcg like this.
  11. It isn’t 1.5 meters, it’s 3 feet. That’s 0.914 meters.

12. jarlrmai

jarlrmai Veteran

It isn't any distance, at all, anywhere, there is no distance, a distance there is not, no distance, not a distance.

glasgowcyclist and jefmcg like this.
  13. dantheman

dantheman Veteran

Yes, they can classify it as that, camds/herts/beds police force are supposed to be enforcing g it under "operation velo" and their "guidelines" state that motorists should expect cyclists to beat leat 75cm from the roadside and should give 1.5m distance when overtaking at 30mph - more as needed at higher speed.

14. Rules 211 to 213 cover it. The 3 foot rule is only a recommendation as to the actual required gap at present.

15. Are you sure you want to be posting on a cycling forum?

Cycleops likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice