1.5 metres ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
From experience, very few.

I wonder how many motorists, coach and lorry drivers are actually aware of it ? On my ride this afternoon, on the A470 , I lost count of the number of cars and coaches passing me just 1 foot away. I know I am a OAP but I intend to live a few more years yet.
1.5 isn't the law. I don't even think it's in the highway code.

So, yeah, drivers don't know it. They also don't know the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow. Let's get it into law (or at least the highway code)

Edit: Does the Highway code use metres. If not, they should. If they already do, then let's be adults and get rid of miles.

It's not technically law but kind of technically is, there's guidance explaining it on some police websites and as I understand it that at least 3 counties police forces were said to be enforcing it with up to 3 points on licence and £100 fine.....???

Yes, they can classify it as that, camds/herts/beds police force are supposed to be enforcing g it under "operation velo" and their "guidelines" state that motorists should expect cyclists to beat leat 75cm from the roadside and should give 1.5m distance when overtaking at 30mph - more as needed at higher speed.

Top Bottom