1/8" chain on 3/32" chainwheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
As above. I can see no reason why it wouldn't work but has anyone actually done this? I would guess it may be slightly noisier than normal but can see no other issues?

e-rider

crappy member
I used to race in the velodrome with such a set-up in the 1990s - works fine.

But why? Just get a 3 32" chain and sprocket.

EDIT: Just to make this clear: I used 1/8 chain and sprocket, but 3 32" chainring.

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
It will be with a 3/32 chainwheel and 1/8" sprocket and chain.

The reason? I'm putting together an old Elswick I rescued from a skip and intend doing it entirely with stuff from my collection of bits and pieces. Old cranks of the type I need turn up all the time on Ebay but are usually brand specific with BSA, Triumph or whatever written on them. I intend to use the crank from a low end '70s 5 speed Raleigh (without a heron badge).

MartinC

Über Member
1/8" chain and 3/32" chainring will work fine. It won't even be any noisier. Many of us have done this for years. 1/8" chains can be cheap and last well 'cos there's more metal in them. An 1/8" chainring is only better 'cos it will be marginally stiffer and last longer. Assume you'll be running singlespeed or fixed - 1/8" chain won't work on a derailleur set up. Doesn't matter whether the sprocket is 1/8" or 3/32".

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
Definitely no derailleur. It's a sit up and beg bike with track ends and narrow frame spacing.

Top Bottom