1.9 vs 2.35

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
I have two sets of tires in my garage, a pair of 1.95 Specialized Ground Control tires, weighing in at around 600g each, and a pair of cheaper Maxxis 2.35's weighing in at a whopping 1200g each.

Question is, which do I use for a weekend at Cannop cycle centre? Tempted towards the 2.35's as the 1.95's felt a little skittish on the rocky sections last time (and they pinch flatted once), but is it worth the weight gain?

VamP

Banned
1200g!!!

Thats more than the wheel. Sheesh. Is this DH or XC that you are going for?

OP
OP
HovR

HovR

Über Member
1200g!!!

Thats more than the wheel. Sheesh. Is this DH or XC that you are going for?

That's why I can't decide, the extra grip and control is nice but the weight gain with these tires is a bit extreme! I'll be riding XC, mostly blue and red rated trails which are fairly rocky in places.

zizou

Veteran
For trail centres i use dual ply super tacky high rollers with dh tubes...like riding through treacle, insanely heavy

So much grip though, gives me alot of confidence and very good pinch flat protection so i put up with the weight penalty. This is for centres like glentress or innerleithen where the trails take you to the top of the hill then down so it isnt undulating nor flat xc - if it was i would go with something lighter. I dont however know what Cannop is like so cant advise one way or the other!

VamP

Banned
I'm a weight weenie so I would go with lighter over grip.

Or experiment with light rear, grippy front?

OP
OP
HovR

HovR

Über Member
I assume taking both with you and knowing you have them in the car (?) as back up is not an option. quick change of tyres if you have made the wrong choice?

The pair I'm not using I will be lending to a friend (who's coming with me) to replace the slicks on his mountain bike, so I'd prefer to get it right first time rather than having to ask for them back to swap them over!

Think I'll experiment with a combination as suggested by VamP, although I was originally thinking of putting the wider tire on the back mostly to prevent flats on the fast, rocky downhill section of the Verderers trail.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
rule of thumb
narrow tyres - mud
wide tyres - dry

GilesM

Legendary Member
Personally I wouldn't use either, 1200g is very heavy and 600g is heavy for a 1.95, and I've never really liked the feel of specialized tyres, ( I have 2.4s on my Orange five that weigh about 550g) the lighter tyre should be fine, I've ridden trail centres on light weight 2.0 and 1.8 tyres no problems, one option could be the big heavy one up front and the skinny one on the back, then you and your friend have the same combination, however, if he's really fit, give him the big heavy ones.

OP
OP
HovR

HovR

Über Member
Went for the 2.35 front and 1.95 back as per recommendation. It worked well, and it was nice to be able to run a lower pressure up front where the 1.95's would just pinch flat.

Personally I wouldn't use either, 1200g is very heavy and 600g is heavy for a 1.95

Unfortunately I didn't have a whole lot of choice. I'd love to have a decent pair of lightweight mountain bike tires, but I can't justify the expense when my commuter is currently in need of a bit of an overhaul after winter (especially considering in the short notice I would have had to shop at my relatively expensive LBS).

Top Bottom