1 gear keeps slipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roodoob

Regular
my Cannondale Adventure ,,, 6mos old .... 7th gear , keeps on "slipping" ...unsure if that is even correct terminology ... but ,
under effort , will slip fairly regularly ?
does not do it in it's higher mode ( sorry, is that 14th gear?) :blush:... and though , i THINK there has been a slip, here-N-there, w/ other gears ...
not enuff to cause much thought .... this one - 7th ...starting to bug me ...and it's obvious , i need help :wacko:
as a relatively "new bike" ... normal chain break-in... o k...but... wouldn't that be in all gears ?!?

thanx all

OP
OP
R

roodoob

Regular
ooops sorry ... i ride 1.5 - 2 hrs / day ..99% on paved surface ... a little grass or dirt for 45-90 seconds at the most ...total

sleuthey

Legendary Member
my Cannondale Adventure ,,, 6mos old .... 7th gear , keeps on "slipping" ...unsure if that is even correct terminology ... but ,
under effort , will slip fairly regularly ?
does not do it in it's higher mode ( sorry, is that 14th gear?) :blush:... and though , i THINK there has been a slip, here-N-there, w/ other gears ...
not enuff to cause much thought .... this one - 7th ...starting to bug me ...and it's obvious , i need help :wacko:
as a relatively "new bike" ... normal chain break-in... o k...but... wouldn't that be in all gears ?!?

thanx all
It would help if you advised whether 7th gear is the highest ion the rear cassette and by slipping do you mean it’s skipping to between 6th and 7th? If yes to both select 7th and try adjusting the high screw so the mech moves outwards half turn at a time.

OP
OP
R

roodoob

Regular
i decided to be better with cleaning, after getting this bike...and though, not nearly the enthusiast, that the majority of folks here, are,
it is the only real cardio i can get at this time ...so :bicycle:

no stones or similarly obvious ... i do get the sand and road grit out regularly ! and re-lubricate, following that cleaning
the slipping on 7th..is a brief miss, most often, under pressure
( exerting more force, going uphill etc)
it never bounces from 1 gear to another ...just that momentary slip ...
regarding if the 7th is "highest" ? 16 gears 8/8 ... so, 7th, 2nd to last , 2nd smallest ...
you see how lacking , technically , i am ... :shy:
ooops , forgot ..does not happen when in 15th !

looking over the other links now

thanx

davidphilips

Veteran
Know Chains can last a long time for some depends how much use they get etc, but check yours, at this time of year i tend to wear out a chain ever 2 months and i keep them clean and lubed, Lucky if i can get a few thousand miles from a chain and back tyre, as yours is 6 months old it could be worn.

Even with out any sort of measuring tool just put your chain onto the big chainring at the front hold the chain about half way around the chainring and see if you can pull it away from the chainring, with a new/really good chainring and chain there should be very little movement.

GrandadRob

I had the same problem yesterday. Cruising at low pressure all ok, but in 4th and 5th of a 6 ring set it slips. By that I mean not jumping between gears, but when standing up and applying real pressure, it appears to jump the cogs, very scarey on a main road. The bike is about 3 years old, so could probably be the cog set or the chain maybe.

OP
OP
R

roodoob

Regular
not opposed to bringing it back in, other than, it's a bit of a P I A :cursing:
the fact that it only happens ( 99% time) in the one gear ..tells this, know not too much, that gear /cog ?!?!
is the issue... if so, could i test that b4 the trip to the shop

thanx all

Ajax Bay

Guru
i ride 1.5 - 2 hrs / day
So (boring maths) 26 weeks (old) at an average of 5 days a week at an average of 90 minutes on those days equals . .
a chain and a cassette worn beyond their life.
Entirely 'normal' with that use. @Cycleops :rolleyes:
Replace both.
NB Same for @GrandadRob classic indication chain is elongated beyond non-skating use, and cassette will be worn too. Put just a new chain on and it'll be even worse.

OP
OP
R

roodoob

Regular
wow ...worn ALREADY ?!? ...
35 yrs ago...riding 30 miles/day on my old trek never had an issue ! worn out , on a fraction of the sort of riding i used to do ?

do i sound perplexed :wacko: EYE AM EYE EYE Capt ...yikes ...

so as an aside
did a ride after the AM qweshuns .... and cleaned it up ...lookin closer ... and noticed 8th gear / cog ...
this My highest gear (smallest) had a little bit of play ...
sort of like the amount of play that would create the kind of "slip" i've been describing
but, was 8th , not 7th ...took the wheel off , tried to tighten , but no room for that !

YES ... 7th, probably :rolleyes: is used most ...butttttt ...gee whiz ...worn out ?!?!?
i thought pushin 70 , I was worn out !

better contact this Dale Cannon guy

thanx all !

Top Bottom