1 week cycle trek - ideas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
Evening all,

I'm currently eyeing up putting together a charity cycle challenge for a team of colleagues ( <10 riders) with the possibility of using a tour operator for support (best for insurance etc).

I have no idea where to go but ideally the trek would be no longer than a week and cost no more than £300pp. Probably likely to be road rather than MTB because roadies are easily available.

Sorry if it's a but vague but would like some ideas to investigate.

Cheers

sabian92

Über Member
In the UK or abroad is the main question.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Probably abroad.

I did LDN2PAR on my own with a tour company but ideally i think it'd be good to do one as a small party of 10ish from my company.

Brains

Legendary Member
You are in Southampton.
£300 and a few days.
How about Southampton to Paris ?
Go via ferry to Le Havre or if you can to Dieppe.
Then cycle to Paris and train and boat or Eurostar home

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
My company looked at it, and discovered a DIY tour, hiring a van with a volunteer driver, was considerably cheaper than paying for a tour organiser. An organiser will want to take a package off the shelf to minimise cost. If you DIY you're in control of route and accommodation.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
My company looked at it, and discovered a DIY tour, hiring a van with a volunteer driver, was considerably cheaper than paying for a tour organiser. An organiser will want to take a package off the shelf to minimise cost. If you DIY you're in control of route and accommodation.

Issue for us is insurance. We could arrange it, but off the shelf ones come with insurance for the support team and then up to participants to get tour insurance.

Going DIY is something I could consider but it's convincing the company to buy into it really.

Update on tour location, we could do a circle of the UK mainland as we have ofices in Sheffield, Soton&, London & Bristol so could do a circle round those 4. Just a thought in my mind, but still appreciatin others.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
What sort of insurance? You might look at setting the group up as a club and affiliating it to the CTC,
http://www.ctc.org.uk/local-groups/...-ctc-member-group/how-to-form-ctc-affiliated-

Our workplace group are presently considering it, though I haven't looked into the detail.

The charity i have in mind has said they would prefer a tour operator or similar to assist with the ride as for bith us and a company would like everything to be tied up nicely with insurance etc. to avoid adverse publicity if it goes wrong basically.

It's not essential so long as I can present it to both the charity and company to explain why it'll all be ok.

Do CTC offer insurance for this sort of thing if we're an affiliated club?

Yellow7

Über Member
The charity i have in mind has said they would prefer a tour operator or similar to assist with the ride as for bith us and a company would like everything to be tied up nicely with insurance etc. to avoid adverse publicity if it goes wrong basically.

It's not essential so long as I can present it to both the charity and company to explain why it'll all be ok.

Do CTC offer insurance for this sort of thing if we're an affiliated club?
Surely any 'support team' driver would naturally have vehicle insurance to drive a vehicle in the first place, so what is the additional insurance you're after actually for?

"and then up to participants to get tour insurance" It sounds like you're concern for the cyclist's themselves is taking second place, surely insurance of the cyclist's themselves should be the main concern else If something did go wrong adverse publicity would still occur, of which can be unavoidable, insured or not.

Happy new year to all!

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Surely any 'support team' driver would naturally have vehicle insurance to drive a vehicle in the first place, so what is the additional insurance you're after actually for?

"and then up to participants to get tour insurance" It sounds like you're concern for the cyclist's themselves is taking second place, surely insurance of the cyclist's themselves should be the main concern else If something did go wrong adverse publicity would still occur, of which can be unavoidable, insured or not.

Happy new year to all!

I'm not too sure yet, just the charities guidelines that if we got a tour operator insurance for everything (riders/support) is sorted.

Also a tour operator would take away some stress from the group cycling.

Top Bottom