1 week later and WOW!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Felix79

Felix79

It's been a while since I last posted in my thread. I thought I would give an update on things.

I ended up putting my car on eBay with a price much higher that I was would take for the car. After 4 minuets it had sold and within a few days the car had gone! I thought I would be upset letting it go after 5 years of coughing up stupid amounts to keep it in good working order, but I'm just happy it's not rotting away on the driveway any more.

I bought a couple of guitars and other bits and bobs, which included a brand new ex-display Mavic Aksium wheels to go on my Cannondale. I've not done much to the bike since I had my op and my old man is helping me finish the last bits off this weekend (installing cables, bar tape, new chain, setting up my Dura Ace 7800 rear mech). Still feeling very sore from it all, but having the odd hour or two where the discomfort in my back is much less. I think I will need a 2nd treatment this year, which is always a possibility with this treatment. I will start building up my stamina again, very slowly and aim to be able to beat my furthest (which isn't that far) by the end of October!

Will update when I'm back on the bike again soon!

Wait till your doing 6,000+ miles a year on a new wheel set every year chains, cassettes, you will think running the car was cheap ;)

OP
OP
Felix79

Felix79

Wait till your doing 6,000+ miles a year on a new wheel set every year chains, cassettes, you will think running the car was cheap ;)

Let's just say in the last 5 years I owned my Scooby, I only did 20,000 miles and it was way over £1 a mile in money spent on it! So anything under that I see as a bonus :P

Let's just say in the last 5 years I owned my Scooby, I only did 20,000 miles and it was way over £1 a mile in money spent on it! So anything under that I see as a bonus :P
I have just give the bike a bit of a overall brakes blocks, tyres, cables chain, new headset and a new saddle total cost about £100 plus some new mits and a cheap shirt, even though I maintain it to the best of my ability (and some would say not very well, the rate I get through wheels).

I was a bit concerned about the 105 12-27 cassette it having done some 6 or 7,000 miles (need to look that one up) however after fitting the new chain and checking cog teeth profile with an Ultegra 12-23 I have it is fine, though I suspect I might have to change it next time around (which if the current mileage is anything to go by will be the spring), mind you I am a cheapskate.

I am looking to get some higher spoke count wheels as I suspect I might be carrying a bit more weight in a couple of months, looking at either Tiagra or 105 hubs 32/36 I have seen these TIAGRA-SHIMANO-FH-RS400 for just under £100 also some Tiagra @ 176 and 105 @ 207 at Spa cycles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Felix79

Felix79

Got some new tyres to go on the new Mavic wheels I recently acquired off eBay. I had to use Halfords due to how difficult it is to park in and around Oxford. I bought some 25mm Continental Gatorskin and matching inner tubes and was stunned at how expensive good quality safe road tyres cost! I didn't want to risk buying online incase I need to return them if they don't fit properly (room with the brakes/frame).

This weekend my old man and I will do the last bits on the Cannondale and I'll be able to slowly build up my stamina, strength and distance!

With all of the parts I have bought for the bike, I now only need to get a frame and a front crank and I can build up a bike for my Poppa with all the parts I removed from my CAAD 8! I'm very lucky that I share a lot of interests as my Poppa and we do enjoy the whole father and son time that we get.

Top Bottom