10 mile radius

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

malcermie

As very much a beginner at this and the fact I'm 67 long runs may have to wait awhile, did a 50 mile one the other day but think that's about my limit at the moment. So hit on the idea of drawing a ten mile circle around my house on the OS map and cycling every road and lane within it. Living where I do there are hundreds of them!! This should take me through the winter and we will see what next summer brings.
Malc

compo

Veteran
Years ago when I was into running I did the exact same thing. As you say a 10 mile radius gives a fair bit of scope as it is 20 miles in diameter. Only tip I would give is to get an old map, or do some printouts and colour the roads you ride when you do them. As you see the circle gradually changing colour it is quite motivational. (I have just noticed where you live. I guess you will have to have a semi circle unless you have an amphibious bike). I would also lay odds that as you get more into your riding you will be soon be going further afield than your 10 mile routes.

Phil_bucks

The problem I have is boredom, I rarely do the same route twice. Living were I do, I've got alot of options, plenty of choices but the roads are an absolute mess.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I agree with Compo, I think you will soon go over your 10 mile radius as you will find it too restrictive. After all, this is only about 1.5 hour ride ( would be for me anyway for 20 mile ride). Enjoy it and keep exploring!

OP
OP
malcermie

malcermie

Thanks Compo yes could get a bit moist if I went to the south!! I live in a small village about five miles inland so not too bad and yes I have photocopied the map and will be using a highlighter to follow my progress

alans

black belt lounge lizard
I have lived here since 1976 & two weeks ago discovered a very narrow lane for the first time:less than 10km from home as the crow flies.
Doing 50 miles as a beginner is very commendable IMO.

Top Bottom