10 speed 46t/30t chainset or 11-40 cassette ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 121159

As above, changing the chainset is a better approach. Switch to GRX 46/30. To go even lower, T.A Specialite has 44/28 chainrings for GRX. Microshift has just launched their 'Sword' groupset including a 46/29 chainset. There's also a Tiagra triple chainset 30/36/50, but with that it'll be necessary to change the front mech + shifter so might be pricier.

I bet the future trend will be groupsets with more usable gear ratios. Shimano could have made 44/28 one of the default options for GRX but they didn't so there's only the aftermarket option. The new CUES groupset comes with lots of very usable gears like 26/40 combined with 11-45. Even 46/30 is too big for most people who don't actually race. 40/24 with 11-34 would be my sweet spot.

https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en...s0TXHlNhmr7Oa_Kn0AhoC4soQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by a moderator:

robjh

Legendary Member
I was riding along with a rider yesterday, he looked at my triple and he said jokingly "Triples are for old blokes" as he was grinding his way very slowly up a not very steep incline with his double.

View attachment 701234

Now I'm past 60 they can happily throw that accusation at me ^_^
Nonetheless, at any age I have never understood the shyness about using low gears -gears are there for a reason.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was riding along with a rider yesterday, he looked at my triple and he said jokingly "Triples are for old blokes" as he was grinding his way very slowly up a not very steep incline with his double.

View attachment 701234
Ha ha - that reminds me of this... :okay:

One rather amusing example was when I was out doing the old Pendle Pedal sportive. I was riding down to the crossroads at Quernmore. I would be turning left at the crossroads and tackling a stiff climb up to the Jubilee Tower monument.

View attachment 125133

Just before my turn, I was overtaken by a fast-moving group of younger male riders. One of them spotted the gearing on my bike and started laughing. He called out "Ha ha - got yer triple ready have yer, granddad!"

They climbed away from me up round a RH bend where the road really starts to kick up. I engaged my 28/28 bottom gear and was twiddling my way up at a comfortable pace when I turned the bend and saw a slow-moving group of younger male WALKERS ahead of me, dripping sweat, and pushing their bikes.

I couldn't resist it ... I took my right hand off the bars, leaned down to extract a drinks bottle from its cage, and accelerated as I overtook them, riding one-handed. I took a long, casual drink and said them "Ha ha - looks like you need triples too, eh lads!" :okay:

Top Bottom