10 speed Campagnolo compatablility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe

Über Member
I'm thinking of upgrading my Shimano RSX 7 speed to low level Campagnolo. Possibly as a complete groupset but more likely by bargain hunting the seperate bits. If I go for the hunt, what compatablity issues to I have to look out for with 10 speed stuff? I take it QS and non QS stuff is not compatible. How about cranks, do they all use the same bb interface?
And where would you recommend going for the higher quality gear. Is it worth skimping on the derailleurs for some nicer cranks say?
So many questions:biggrin:

Mortiroloboy

Hi Joe,

Have a look at WWW.PROBIKEKIT.COM they are currently selling a full Campag Groupset (Mirage 10spd) for £203.95 an absolute bargain, hurry though they only had a few left when I last looked.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Joe said:
I'm thinking of upgrading my Shimano RSX 7 speed to low level Campagnolo. Possibly as a complete groupset but more likely by bargain hunting the seperate bits. If I go for the hunt, what compatablity issues to I have to look out for with 10 speed stuff? I take it QS and non QS stuff is not compatible. How about cranks, do they all use the same bb interface?
And where would you recommend going for the higher quality gear. Is it worth skimping on the derailleurs for some nicer cranks say?
So many questions:biggrin:

you'll need to change at least your rear hub, rear mech, shifters. if you put a campag chainset on you will need a compatible bb, which will mean taking it into lbs to find out whether your frame is english or italian threaded etc.

might end up cheaper buying a basic road bike that comes with entry level campag.

easier still, just upgrade the shimano componentry with better quality shimano.

Mortiroloboy

I refer my honourable friend to my previous answer!:biggrin: take all that Shim*no tat off and get the COMPLETE Campagnolo Mirage Groupset from Probikekit, then all he'll need to do is change the rear hub, or get a shim*no to Campag adapter thingymabob, or get a Campag rear wheel which might work out cheaper, or a cheap wheelset, or even a cheap basic bike with Campag already fitted, Oh Poo, why did I start this? Ignore me I'm just leaving:blush:

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
Hehe.
I know it's probably not the best idea value wise but I've become really attatched to this frame and fully upgrading it (new wheels too) is the way I'm going.
I've had my eye on that groupset at PBK but I can't do anything until payday on Friday. I've also found a '06 Veloce groupset for an amazing price but theres only a couple left in stock and they aren't replying to my emails regarding what crank lengths they have left. Will be ringing them if I get no answer by payday!

Mortiroloboy

Joe said:
Hehe.
I know it's probably not the best idea value wise but I've become really attatched to this frame and fully upgrading it (new wheels too) is the way I'm going.
I've had my eye on that groupset at PBK but I can't do anything until payday on Friday. I've also found a '06 Veloce groupset for an amazing price but theres only a couple left in stock and they aren't replying to my emails regarding what crank lengths they have left. Will be ringing them if I get no answer by payday!

That'll do nicely! fingers crossed that the cranks are the right length for you.

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
Well I ended up going for the Mirage. 2008 version, as by the time I'd bought the braze on adaptor I would have needed on PBK it wasn't much more, and this way I had a full choice of cassettes.
Anyway...it came today. Feels like xmas!:smile:
Can't wait until the weekend to build it up (providing Ribble get their arse in gear and get my wheels sent):tongue:

As a slight aside. Who here has one of Ribbles Audax/Winter frames and what do you think? They take mudguards and a rack right? I'm thinking of building one up with my Shimano RSX gear as a commuter, and getting rid of my mountain bike. It's really inpracticle for what I use it for (it's never seen grass let alone a mountain!) and the fit is not perfect.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've had the frame for two years and no complaints. It is excellent value for money and all the comments I have heard from other owners have been favourable.

Top Bottom