10 speed cassette on Mavic wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Last Saturday my back wheel went out of true so I took the existing cassette off and duly got the thing straightened out (Thanks Sigma Kingston - same day, quick work!)
Campagnolo Centaur derailleur etc - so I thought I would slip on a new Centaur cassette 11-23 as the original was more suited to the mountains...what I thought was a 13 - 29. (Actually a 13 - 28...)

The new one doesn't fit the spline arangement on the hub :wacko:
Not a major problem ultimately, but can anyone (of that well known CC group 'Mickle and the Mechanics':smile: etc ) verify what the hub/cassette is?
Here are some pics to help you (and me :biggrin: )
24vjequ.jpg

Mavic spline
2qiv501.jpg

Original cassette with strange toothed 'inners'...xx(
feiewy.jpg

New baby - silly me for not paying attention to the spline arrangement :wacko:

Thanks in advance for any info...

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/k7hub-3-styles.jpg

Answering my own post now - is this a clue? :wacko:

Well. After actually thinking and surfing for a while, I understood that the freehub body was a Shimano profile and I needed a Campag - obviously - to slide the cassette assembly onto...
I'll post a pic or two - for reference when I have a moment - but basically, one can swap the freehub bodies at a cost! c£45. The mechanic at CycleSurgery Camden seemed to know what it was about anyway, and they had 'some' in stock. I now know how to dismantle one of these hubs and refit! :smile:
This is what it is
Anyone else thinking about swapping needs to ask for this Part No.!!!
Still don't know the provenance of the original sprockets with their wierd black steel inserts - Miche? A N Other? - I'll try and find that out too.
Only just arrived from work so will not be doing much tonight - I'll post tomorrow, but I am learning little by little that tuning up a bike is not like clicking off one piece of Lego and putting another bit that fits in its place
Last sentence. I just picked up the original freehub body and there is a washer loose in there - I bet it belongs within my new assembly :wacko::evil:
Tools are coming out...

I found a washer lurking in the grease of the original freehub...

30s8u8w.jpg

OK - I took the new freehub body off and repositioned the absent washer...giving a much better feel to the assembly.
The small component opposite the freehub just pulls off, leaving access for a 10mm allen key.

2qx7slf.jpg

The freehub side takes a 5mm and it is just a twist in opposite directions to undo. There was a bit of resistance from the pawls - the little sticky up bits of metal with a spring underneath that makes wheels go click,click,etc...
2guaxoz.jpg

Washer in place, the unit was re assembled, I just gently pushed the pawl teeth down as the edge of the hub slid towards them, and the result seemed to work straight away, with no re indexing of the gears, but you know what it's like when it is bike playtime - everything gets a tinker with...:smile:

2e37vxe.jpg

Last thing for me is to find out a bit more about the original cassette that came off the hub:wacko:

yenrod

What a meaty thread with pictures too ;)

:evil:

I think Aperitif needs the 'Meaty thread for 2008 award'

:tongue:

Seriously, Ap'. I like this as you've totally explained it via text AND pictures !

Really good.

Proto said:
Er, your original cassette is a Marchisio. Individual sprockets which take an adaptor so that they can be used on either Shimano or Camapag.

Look here: http://www.highpath.co.uk/cycles/cassettes/01.html

Thanks proto - that's what I need to hear ;)
Oh - and from you too Lee - thanks...I hope it might help others in the future.
Hope the toothache has dulled - to maybe just a pain in the neck...:evil:

yenrod

Well Ap - ive the metronidazole (does this mean id test positive in a cycling drugs test ;)) and its generally cooled down...

Still, I still believe Dentists are sado's lol...

Top Bottom