10-speed Chainring with a 1/8" chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buddha

Veteran
I replaced a worn SS chainring with a (spare) 10-speed ring a few days ago. And kept the 1/8" chain as the rear cog is 1/8". Both old and new chainrings measure up to be the same thickness. All working fine etc.

Anyway, I was 'advised' (by another cyclist, whilst at traffic lights) that I could run the risk of the chain coming off the (10-speed) chainring.

Is this BS?
Okay, the tooth profile isn't as high as on a SS chainring. But the shifting 'ramps' aren't as drastic as those on a cassette. And my chain is never slack ;)

tyred

Legendary Member
If the chain doesn't come off, then there is no problem IMO.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It may be fine as a stop gap, but my personal choice would be to buy and use parts that were made to work with each other.

Zoiders

It won't come off but what will happen is that the ring will gall.

Instead of wearing away in the normal fashion material will be pushed off to one side at the bottom of the teeth where the chain rollers wear against it.

It keeps doing this until you get a sharp edge sticking out at 90 degrees from the chainring tooth, then it starts to catch the side plates of the chain as you ride, it will keep doing this until you take a needle file and remove the burrs.

I experienced this with 1/8 chain on a 3/32(fixed), a 10 speed ring will see rather more drastic wear, with a worn 1/8 chain on a 10 speed ring you also run the risk of jamming the profiled sharp tooth of the ring between the chain side plate and roller.

GrasB

Veteran
There's a higher likelihood of the chain coming off a chainring for a geared bike as the teeth aren't as tall. Besides that what Zolders said.

Top Bottom