10 to 11 speed conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

DWM

Many thanks for all your replies.

It is interesting to hear a number of you say that 5800 105 is significantly better than 5700. This is why I'm not keen to simply get 5700 shifters, despite that fact it is the cheapest option.

I have considered everything that has been mentioned, ie 6700 shifters, as well as 4700. Both would no doubt be good options, but they seem more limited in terms of future upgrades etc (6700 because it's pretty old and 4700 because it is unique in the current range).

The above is why I hoped 5800 would work without new wheels. It seems to be universally praised and is relatively future proof. In terms of cost there is about £20 difference between simply getting 6700 shifters and 5800 shifters, cassette, chain, and derailleurs (with 4700 being halfway between the 2).

I may well just buy an 11 sped cassette (£25) and try to bodge it onto my existing hub. This also suggests its possible - http://darkspeedworks.com/blog-11speed.htm

Thanks again

Dave

OP
OP
D

DWM

Quick update.

Bought a 11 speed 105 cassette this morning. Removing one cog (and using the spacer behind the cassette) it appears to fit perfectly on my 10 speed hub. The lock ring engaged with plenty of threads to use and the wheel fits on the bike without any issues. Happy with this.

Whilst this might seem like a faff (and I agree it probably is), I think it will work for me. My 11 speed wheels are better, lighter and fitted with racier tyres, and I use these as my 'summer' wheels (April/May to October ish). The stock wheels are heavier and fitted with more durable tyres and I use these in the 'winter'. Therefore I will only have to swap the around twice a year, which isn't too much hassle.

I know this change cannot really be justified on any logical grounds. I have however just received a decent pay rise, and this is my reward to myself!

Will update again when I buy the rest of the bits and fit everything.

Cheers

Dave

Colin S

Über Member
I used to have 4600 and didn't like the brake cables. Changed to secondhand 5700 levers with no problems and looked much neater.
My new bike has 6800 which is probably a bit sharper but it is newer so not sure there is much to choose for average rider like me.

C

Top Bottom