100 miler advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shades.5

Hi all been cycling about 10 days after an absence of about 15 years , am 44 little overweight and slightly unfit , been cycling to work for last 10 days ( 18 miles round trip ) with 2 x 25 milers chucked in , am doing a 100 miler 24th august , so am looking for advice all round from what 2 wear / take , foods/drinks training etc and week bulding up to 100 miler what to eat / rest days etc all advice much appriciated , thanks all

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I have a 100 miler this Saturday, and have spent the last 5 months building up to it. Make sure you get the miles in before hand, to get accustomed to the time in the saddle, after that it is a case of surviving. Eat a good breakfast before the off, take at least 2 bidons of energy drink/water with you, and re-fuel on the ride too. Take a few energy gels, bananas, malt loaf or nutrigrain bars for eating. Eat before you get hungry and drink before you get thirsty is the best advice I can give, oh, and invest in a VERY GOOD pair of cycling shorts, you're going to need them! Other than that, have lots of fun and enjoy the experience.

Alves

A very ambitious start back to your cycling career. A bit more time to fine tune your contact points (hands/mitts, feet/shoes/pedals and bum/shorts/saddle) and riding position would have been preferable in many ways.
Given you don't have the time for this, remember long rides are a bit of a head game and focus on getting to the next cafe rather than thinkng too much about the finish.
I would be tempted not to experiment with new kit on the day of the ride and use what has been working for you so far.
Good advice from CP above.
I would add, don't take too much stuff, just a repair kit (multitool, tyre levers) a pump and a couple of tubes.
Food you should be able to get along the way, take a couple of bottles and a waterproof/showerproof top and I like to take knee warmers in addition to my shorts.
Good luck and enjoy the day.

djb1971

Legendary Member
As the above ( especially bike fit ) but take a bit of cash/card or phone. 40+ miles is a long walk home. I always have a couple of easy days before hand either off the bike completely or a light/recovery type ride just to keep the legs flexing. Stick a bit of chamois cream like udderly smooth in your shorts or vaseline at a push if you're worried about chaffing. Eat & drink plenty.

Similar age/fitness profile as you and did my first 100 this year. Only got back into bikes last year.

You can fix most things on the way (if tired:rest if hungry:eat) but you cannot fix it if you are too much discomfort to carry on. So you really need to get a 50+ ride in for the remaining weekends until the day. Also put in some rest days from the commute if you do this and you should be fine.

Just pace it and slow down or stop if you need to on the ride. I found my 100 fine and am really pleased i pushed myself to it.

Tynan

Veteran
I did the Dunwich last month with no preparation other than commuting 20 miles a day and rode as normal right up to the day

Sorren loaf was lovely and chocolate rasains were welcome near the end, decent arse cream and apply more at regular intervals, that was all I did wrong, not reapply until I started getting a bit sore

I'm assuming a day ride is loads easier than a night one

I'm 42 although I am in fairly good nick now after a years of cycling to work

go for it in short, as said, buy some good bib shorts and wear them so you know they're comfy

Globalti

Legendary Member
Er... this cream you speak of... I have used vaseline in the past to good effect on the rusty bullet hole, which gets sore on long wet and gritty MTB events but is the cream generally applied to the entire saddle area?

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I did 100 miles last Saturday, and 50 miles yesterday and I didn't use any creams. What are these creams ye speak of? Set off nice and fresh and, apart from being a bit sweaty, that's how I arrive.

djb1971

Legendary Member
Google 'chamois cream'

It is applied to your chamois to stop chaffing and to help bacterial control. Excellent if you aren't used to long distance cycling and worried about sores etc. also excellent if you are used to long distances :sad:

Jaded

Drink and food. And padded shorts. And a good selection of clothing to cope with the forecast and unforecast weather. And a few spare inner tubes. And plenty of time - nothing worse than feeling pressured to finish. Some jelly babies for the last 15 miles.

Top Bottom