Ride 100.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Do people really buy into this?
Screenshot_20230809_175803.jpg

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
They will have no problem selling those places.

I know people who got tickets to the Open at Hoylake the other week. Not cheap tickets. Saw zero golf as they were in the beer tent all day.
Cycle events are probably cheaper.

DogmaStu

I would never pay these prices for a social ride I can do for free!

These events cost more than races. I've never done a Sportive, only Gran Fondos - but on the Continent, they aren't just mass start, they have a racing element as well with podium prizes but cost a lot less than the Sportives here in the UK.

Mass MTB start races in Portugal and Spain attract upwards of 500 cyclists and typically cost around 12-15 euros and included in that you get a T-shirt, gels, bidon's and often a bottle of wine! Sponsors fund the event, including local councils who cover Police etc. The road Gran Fondo's cost a bit more with thousands entering but they are still nothing like the prices I see here.

I look at events like this and just do it myself if I like the look of the route. No drama, no cost, no masses of 'accidents-waiting-to-happen' cyclists.

Drago

Legendary Member
Plenty of people buy in to the idea of giving cash to go for a 100 Mile ride on a public road, so it surprises me not that there are schmucks would pay for this.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
I see it with ultra running ATM race organisers charging £100s for long distance runs.
I'm not going to pay more than £1pm for a feed station and a t shirt!

Jameshow

Veteran
Plenty of pinarello / cervelo* types are happy to pay that much!!

Other premium brands are available!

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I’ve paid more than that to buy a place in one of the marathon Majors.

In the grand scheme of things it’s not a huge sum for someone who wants to make their day somewhat special.

It's a Cyclechat tradition to moan and bellyache about expensive things and then say "I wouldn't want it anyway."

Look! A thing that I don't want costs this much. How terribly awful. People who buy it must be different to me outright idiots and probably evil.

I've done RL, as well as riding solo over pretty much all the roads in the area*. I find closed roads and the event experience are entirely different and a very enjoyable change.

*Outside of London obvs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom