100 miles in 8 hours crap commuting ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angry Blonde

Über Member
well its took me 8 hours five minutes to do 100 miles in five commutes to work of 6 mile and two bigger rides, this month. Is this crap going on a mtb, first real month of cycling. to be fair the first two weeks of commuting in gale force wind and rain. got the cycling bug for real now.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It certainly is not crap. Especially for someone who has only recently started cycling.
You are on a bike that is all that matters. You will get better, you will get faster, you will go longer.
Don't get hung up about speeds or averages, you can worry about those later. Just enjoy your rides for now.

400bhp

Guru
Speed is relative.

You're slower than me but there's a few a damn sight faster than me on here who, in turn, are slower than those bods you see on the telly in funny coloured tops.

Ian's post sums it up but I don't think getting faster is a given. Depends upon how hard you try and what ypur current fitness is like.

wilkotom

well its took me 8 hours five minutes to do 100 miles in five commutes to work of 6 mile and two bigger rides, this month. Is this crap going on a mtb, first real month of cycling. to be fair the first two weeks of commuting in gale force wind and rain. got the cycling bug for real now.

Seems pretty respectable to me. Strava tells me last week I did 102 miles over 4 days' commuting, in 8 hours 1 minute.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Bloody good going, I'd say. I seem to be doing at least 16mph whenever I look at the speedo*, but am lucky to average more than 11mph if the traffic is busy and the lights are against me.

Actually, that's not quite true. When I look at the speedo these days, I'm invariably on my knees, clawing through my bike box looking for a spare front lamp or allen key. Cycle computer fell off last summer and I haven't bothered putting it back on. Measure my progress by the width of my smile. :smile:

OP
OP
Angry Blonde

Angry Blonde

Über Member
@400bhp current fitness is couch potatoe, drinker and 17 stone to boot haha. @wilkotom not too bad from a fatty then

400bhp

Guru
Keep at it. IMO you have started at the perfect time to commute. If you can get through the bad weather then you are much more likely to continue than give up.

Sharky

Guru
"100 in 8" or "50 in 4" used to be the classic standard for reliability trials and these would be for seasoned club riders. So you are in good company.

Keith

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Speed means very little on a commute.
I can blast it or pootle through London traffic and the overall difference is minimal due to aspects outside of my control.
One of the worst things is when you blast past a little old lady on her shopper, and the 4 or 5 sets of lights later she pulls up along side!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Speed means very little on a commute.
I can blast it or pootle through London traffic and the overall difference is minimal due to aspects outside of my control.
One of the worst things is when you blast past a little old lady on her shopper, and the 4 or 5 sets of lights later she pulls up along side!

yup :laugh:

Top Bottom