100 miles in 8 hours crap commuting ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm currently driving my step granddaughter into school at the moment. Until things sort themselves out, it's a ride from Welling to and from Tulse Hill. I've yet to record an average speed better than 11mph. That's a good deal slower than the OP is doing.

Perfectly respectable.

Put slicks on your MTB or get a road/cyclocross/hybrid/ bike if you want to go faster/further.

I haven't bothered reconfiguring my cycle computer since the last time I messed all the settings up.

Kookas

Über Member
Yeah, I average about 15mph on my 7.23 mile commute. It only takes me to be held up by 2 minutes to drop 1 mph. The traffic lights, filtering, etc. all add up.

And then there's the fact that you're constantly stopping and starting, so you expend more energy than someone doing the same distance through the countryside.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Don't worry about average speed on an urban commute. You're constantly slowing for traffic, stopped at junctions, filtering...etc, all of which will prevent you from maintaining a constant pace.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
well its took me 8 hours five minutes to do 100 miles in five commutes to work of 6 mile and two bigger rides, this month. Is this crap going on a mtb, first real month of cycling. to be fair the first two weeks of commuting in gale force wind and rain. got the cycling bug for real now.
Yep, you are right...its a crap performance.

You should stop immediatley.

J

Come on guys stick with me here, in a few weeks AG will be showing us all up, i personally dont need that sort of competition, its been a tough winter and im getting slooooooooow.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Well it really is hard to bandy around distance and ride times without a context. Was it heavy stop go traffic, loads of traffic lights? Does your cyclecomputer not register movement after a certain time? Were you using slicks or extra chunky knobbies? Was your tyre pressure low? Is your gearing adequate? Is it super hilly where you are? Head winds as you mentioned? Etc, etc, you get the picture.

As others have said, don't worry about it, just get out and enjoy yourself. Chances are you are faster and fitter now then when you started! (and that's a really good measure) . If you are concerned, just start timing yourself to see if you are getting faster (just don't be a slave to the time at the expense of your own safety).

Krellon

Hey man your out on the bike! that's what matters and to be honest 100 miles in the month is more than a lot of people do! Also remember its about the distance not the speed unless your in a race :P

check my latest commute video here

View: http://youtu.be/uSMUHw9vHxM

This was 35 miles and took me 2 hours and 15 minutes @ an average of 15 mph.

You can see my route on Strava here http://app.strava.com/activities/116757874

I started just riding after watching Team Sky during the Olympics. Haven't looked back since come rain or shine :biggrin:

Al the best

Top Bottom