100 Miles on a Mountain Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yesterday I did 100 miles on a mountain bike on a local rail trail. I did the entire 50 miles on the trail, turned around, and rode back.

Averaged about 11.7 MPH. Elevation of 1,225 foot.

Took about 8.5 hours.

My bike is a 2011 Trek Marlin 29er. It isn't light, lol.

Have any of you done 100 miles on a mountain bike?

CXRAndy

Guru
Most I've done is 46 miles with a couple of thousand ft of climbing. Took 3 hours.

I did a 40 mile off-road sportive a couple of weeks ago. Virtually all off road, but across country, so not ideal tracks. Great fun 3hrs 40

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A mate of mine did LEJOG on a hardtail MTB. Furthest I've done on one is about 35 miles.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wow, I'd rack that up in 20-25 miles around here.

About 5 miles to do that round here on the MTB, or even 1000 feet on the road bikes per 10 miles. Most I've done is about 40 miles but that was flat. Done another 35 miler but that was very hilly and took about 5 hours - lucky to average 5mph.

Venod

Eh up
Never done a 100 on the MTB, about 56 is the longest, from home taking in bits of the TPT and canals, so no significant climbing, done a lot of 30 to 40 rides on the North York Moors and Yorkshire Dale's with a lot more climbing.
I find it a bit of a challenge (time wise) to do 100 on the road nowadays, so can't see it happening on the MTB.

Have any of you done 100 miles on a mountain bike?
Yes. And loaded for touring. Not often, but I've done it.

Sorry, but I'm going to be "that guy"...
Averaged about 11.7 MPH

Elevation of 1,225 foot.

Took about 8.5 hours.

My bike is a 2011 Trek Marlin 29er

All I see are numbers!
There's no mention of what you saw or smelled or heard. Not a trace of an interesting conversation or an insight into life's great mystery as you cycled along. No description of a delicious coffee or rich treat.
Not even a description of satisfaction or attainment at the end.

I don't mean to take away from your achievements at all - 100 miles is a good distance - but there can be a whole lot more to cycling than distance, elevation, speed and time.

In a couple of weeks the nature along that trail will have changed. And again two weeks later. For some of us that will keep drawing us out more often than a cold set of numbers.

Only another cyclist (and not even some of those!) know what 100 miles feels like and care about elevation or average speed. But everyone likes to hear a good description of a nice piece of nature or an adventure had.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nope, don't do any of the muddy, dirty stuff ^_^

Milkfloat

An Peanut
No! I came very close and thought I had done it, but it turns out according to 'Nokia Sports Tracker' (remember that?) that I only did 99.2 miles. This was on a off-road coast to coast about 16 or 17 years ago where we decided to go as far as we could on day 1. I suspect that yes I actually did ride that far as my CatEye computer said that we had done it. It is not something I would plan to do again.

I suppose, sort of, on the basis my bikes are all originally MTB's although they now have road or trail tyres.

I completed my one imperial century on this ex MTB, seen here at the turning point way over yonder in the Neckar Valley in south Germany:

2019_06_15_eyach_century_26.jpg

Top Bottom