1000-mile cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Hi!
I'm in the (very) early planning phase for a solo cycle from Essex, UK to Kandersteg, Switzerland. This is just over 1000 miles for charity.

I'm a complete sub-beginner and haven't bought a suitable bike yet. I'm reasonably fit, as an avid hiker, climber and jogger, and am completely clueless when it comes to cycling.

Can anyone please advise what my priorities should be in planning this? What kit/bike would you recommend? I'm hoping to complete it in May/June next year.

Thanks!

Luke
Firstly, a 1000mi ride might seem daunting, but just look at it being just a series of day rides. I would plan for roughly 20 days to cover the distance; during the first few days you will feel your fitness improve and get a feel for a loaded bike you will get a better idea of what your daily mileage will be. However you should have a few practices day runs both on road and off road tracks like the NCN routes prior to leaving on your tour this will get you into a daily routine and allow you to get rid of not needed items. And practice maintenance task, repairing punctures, broken spokes, broken chains, broken cables etc.

As I hiker I assume that you have some knowledge of tents, you will understand if you get a few days of bad wet weather (sods law decrees that it must rain at the most inconvenient time) using something like a helium bivvy can become pretty uncomfortable, a tent where you have room to move around and sit up in and store kit is much more practicable for a tour of more than 3 or 4 days.

I've done a few multi-thousand mile tours.

A thousand mile ride is easy.
Just look at the number of riders who do JOGLE each year as that's roughly 1000 miles.
Doing it in +3 weeks is easy, 10 days is harder and in under 5 days is almost impossible, but some people still do it in that time.
So how long are you setting aside for this ride ??

If you are thinking of ~50 miles per day, then you'll only be cycling for 5-6 hours per day, you'll want a tent because you'll be sitting around in the campsite for a few hours each day.
A bivi bag only really works if your fit enough to cycle for +12 hours per day simply because if you're not cycling then you'll mostly be asleep.

If I start getting fit for my yearly tour on the first of jan, then it's fairly easy to get fit enough to be able to start it on the first of april while doing 50 miles per day.
And it takes me 6-8 weeks to cycle myself to the next level of fitness.
So around June I would be fit enough for roughly 100 mile days.
So the more miles you can get in on a bike, the easier it will be.

Luck .......... :biggrin:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
On further research, I've decided to go for an Outdoor Research helium bivvy! It seems super lightweight and will fit easily in a handlebar bag with a small sleeping bag and sleeping mat.

I use this for bivouacking with a Thermarest Trekking mat and Corus quilt. I use a small MSR groundsheet to prolong it's life and I stake the guy line on the hoop. Choose sheltered spots if you can. Cold, dewy nights are wet nights. It’s fine when it’s wet SO LONG AS YOU CAN DRY IT OUT THE NEXT DAY. You won’t fancy crawling into a wet bag the next night. For longer tours I prefer my tent.

Brains

Legendary Member
Hi

As an FYI, You route may be closer to 1,000 km, but its actually under 700 miles in total, assuming you take the Rhine route.
(The straight line route via Luxembourg is about 550 miles, but will be seriously hilly and a lot slower)

I'd work on 250-300 miles a week, so about 50 miles a day with every 3rd or 4th day off.
You need to get the BikeLine books of the Rhine, it's by far the best map
https://www.esterbauer.com/db_detail.php?buecher_code=RHE4
(I think the text is available in English, but if not the German is fine as its the maps and campsite info you need)

The important thing is to get a bike (any bike) load it up and do a weekend tour.
With your Scouting background the camping wont be an issue, but what you need and how to carry it, will be.

By the way, I'd seriously consider the train for the last bit from Thun, it's a serious Alpine climb up to Kandersteg, but i guess you know that!

(ESL and Kandersteg veteran)

upload_2019-9-10_13-38-16.png

Top Bottom