100miles per day fully loaded?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robbiep

Über Member
Sorry MacLean - did you follow the route that you previously posted on this thread? If so how did you find it traffic, hills, etc...........I hope you still log into your account, now the ride is done we may not see you again :smile:

OP
OP
M

MacLean

Thanks alot guys!

Not got anything in mind yet, but I do feel a sence of wanting something bigger and better to do! But gonna let my body heal up a bit first!

Ill still be coming on the forum just will be taking a brake from the bike for a bit lol.

We followed this route about 95% of the time. We did make a few adjustments at some points as we had so many mechanicals we did fall behind a few days. I found my technique of taking a road atlas and using a highlighter to highlight the roads to take, and cut the pages out and fold them into a handlebar map carrier from the pound shop was perfect. As I say we never really got lost or went the wrong way as aslong as you have the map you can usually always figure out where you are and where you want to go.

We did end up with a few short stints on dual carridge ways which not much fun but sometimes just a case of getting it done.

Cornwall/devon is deffo a tough area with continuous ups and downs and because its near the beginning will be all the more tougher. Once your on your 3rd day you should be clear of the worst of the hills!

Traffic was never really a problem for us, allthough we did end up in the warrington area at rush hour and we just hopped on the pavements and walked/slowly cycled past all the traffic.

If you have any more questions robbie just ask and ill do my best to answer!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...3.644638,0.263672&spn=13.699163,30.717773&z=5

robbiep

Über Member
Thanks MacLean, as the day draws nearer I guess I'll have some queries, I'd love to contact you if you're happy with that.

Many thanks.

Barbelier

Well done - a fantastic achievement!

We got (I think) 5 broken spokes and a broken rack on one bike, about 5 or 6 punctures on the nextWe got (I think) 5 broken spokes and a broken rack on one bike, about 5 or 6 punctures on the next.....
Is this normal?!:biggrin: I have done over 1,000 miles in training over the last few months and only had 1 puncture so far. Admittedly I have not yet loaded up the panniers, but I'm pretty heavy (i.e. overweight) so the bike's already carrying a lot of weight! If this is normal I'm going to have to fill one pannier with just spares. My bike is the EBC Country Explorer.

OP
OP
M

MacLean

Barbelier said:
Well done - a fantastic achievement!

Is this normal?!:tongue: I have done over 1,000 miles in training over the last few months and only had 1 puncture so far. Admittedly I have not yet loaded up the panniers, but I'm pretty heavy (i.e. overweight) so the bike's already carrying a lot of weight! If this is normal I'm going to have to fill one pannier with just spares. My bike is the EBC Country Explorer.

Definetly not normal man, the guy whos bike got all the broken spokes baught his bike new from halfords, and it appears the wheels were cheaply made or something, it was basically a case of when, not if with all the weight he had on the back.

The other bike that got all the punctures again, i dont think this was normal either, he kept getting snake bite punctures which I think might be due to it being under inflated or possibly some kind of fault with his rim.

Either way we were exceptionally unlucky in the mechanical department and I doubt you would be likely to get anything near the number of mechanicals we had providing you are riding decent bikes.

As I say, my specilized tricross never had one single problem for the whole trip!

Brains

Legendary Member
I've lead several fully loaded camping tours with a lot of crap bikes involved.

Punctures - Usually down to old tyres or cheap tyres (or both) In once case we found the history of the bike had been sitting in the shed for 20 years, the bike was great the tyres looked good but the rubber was persihed.

Spokes - Only really every had this happen once, cheap bike, you can only fix a cheap wheel so far, it's better to replace a cheap wheel. Also many bikes are 26" wheeel, use a mountain bike wheel. Same applies to rims, had one of these go. Check before you leave.

Hub - Had one of these go. Replacement depends on how good the local shop is

Racks - Had a couple go. Got one welded at local car garage and other we repaired with cable ties and wooden battens

Chains - You need to carry spare links. (PowerLinks) Be aware links for a 9 speed won't fit a 7 speed and vice versa

Screws and bolts - carry a few of different sizes, touring shakes bolts loose

Pedals - Had cheap plastic ones go from time to time. You just need to know where the next bike shop is

JNR

What a brilliant achievement! Excuse my ignorance but I've got to ask...

What do you do when you get to the finish?

jay clock

Massive member
fantastic. My initial thought when you first posted was that you were a young jack the lad with a bike in the shed and grand unachievable plans. But as I read on I worked out you had what it took, so well done. I do a lot of touring, but would want 2 weeks for that journey.

Now you just need a CrazyGuy journal!

OP
OP
M

MacLean

Thanks JNR,

We drank aload of bear and got photos once we got there! Great moment! However Lands end and John o grotes are not particularly nice places to visit really... They were only start and finish lines to us, so I was a bit dissapointed by the kinda tacky look to them, but there was just alot of smiles and laughter and drinking beer lol!

Thanks Jay,

I know totally where you're comming from, although we did it in our set out time, we still had very little time to look around places, and it felt like we were continuously against the clock every minute of every day which did get stressfull on some occasions. So if I was ever to do it again I would span it out over more days and do less milage per day to actually enjoy the trip rather than battle through it.

robbiep

Über Member
Hi Maclean (or anybody else!!)

How did you manage with the relentless mileage that is required for the 9/10 day effort, does it really start to 'come on top' after a few days or did you just manage to grind through it?

I'm concerned that if I've done 2 loaded back to back 100's (as recommended on site) I may be open for a rude awakening after a few days and be a bit 'under cooked', or is this good preparation?

Our plan is a 9 dayer (top to bottom) and we've agreed we like the route you posted on page 7 of this thread, a 120 ish opening day from JOG, 920 ish in total.

With hindsight do you feel like you did enough training or did you feel more long distance rides were required?

Many thanks.....

Rob

OP
OP
M

MacLean

robbiep said:
Hi Maclean (or anybody else!!)

How did you manage with the relentless mileage that is required for the 9/10 day effort, does it really start to 'come on top' after a few days or did you just manage to grind through it?

I'm concerned that if I've done 2 loaded back to back 100's (as recommended on site) I may be open for a rude awakening after a few days and be a bit 'under cooked', or is this good preparation?

Our plan is a 9 dayer (top to bottom) and we've agreed we like the route you posted on page 7 of this thread, a 120 ish opening day from JOG, 920 ish in total.

With hindsight do you feel like you did enough training or did you feel more long distance rides were required?

Many thanks.....

Rob

Hi Robbie,

First things first, on our last day we cut out that 120mile route for the 100mile one and just went along the costal road, due to us having so many mechanicals we were behind schedule. But not at all a reason for you not to do it, I just don't know that road now.

100 miles a day feels tough at first but after 2 or 3 days you will start getting into the routine. First day or two you'll probabbly be walking like a cowboy every time you get off the bike but once you get on to day4+ you should start becoming adapted to hours in the saddle.

My mates got some nasty knee pains along the way, thankfully I didn't, I can only recommend not being in too high a gear too often putting un necessary strain on the knees. Its a long distance so get in a lower gear and get the legs spinning faster rather than straining them in higher gears, not a race so dont ware yourself out.

Sometimes for very steep hills even the granny gear is tough going with all the weight so sometimes standing up and doing a slow standing pedal is best way of not straining yourself.

1 very important thing I would say is be disaplined with breaks, we had this awful habbit of swanning around town centeres spending way too long and as a result having to grind that much harder and longer later on in the evening.

As long as you have done a good few 75miles+ runs then I think you should be okay just like us.

Not sure if you're camping in campsites or if you're doing what we done and just finding a suitable bit of land anywhere! If the later make sure you know when it gets dark and start your search for a campsite with plenty of time to spare!

You will find yourself and you're mates going through peaks and troughs of strength, i.e you'll feel really strong and fast for a bit, then few hours later you'll feel knackered and someone else will feel strong. Just make sure no one gets left behind!

We wern't exactly the best trained and we managed so I think you should be fine man.

Although be ready for the hills of devon and cornwall near the end! They really are much worse than anything you get in the highlands!

robbiep

Über Member
Thanks MacLean

I guess I'm having a little wobble at the moment as I'm stepping in to the unknown and historically I'm a runner not a cyclist. It's good to have feeback from someone whos walked the walk!

We're staying in B & B's etc so less kit to ferry around than you, I think the A9 road maybe the way to go, a solid 100 for the first day.

I've just added bag/weight to the bike, I was shocked how different/hard it felt at first but after 20 miles you're just used to it and it seems normal, hopefully 100 miles day after day is the same :blush:

The low gear is good advice, I've found I've suffered with knee issues if I try to push a big gear. Bring on the Cornish hills, I guess the only way is to embrace the challenge!

Thanks again MacLean

Top Bottom