100miles per day fully loaded?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ricd11

I'd say it is definitely doable, my friend and few others did it in somewhere around 7-10 days. They were a fit bunch, but not cycle-maniacs, albeit they did suffer a lot of aches and pains but they did it!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
It's certainly do-able.

It's partly a question of whether you're doing it for the challenge, or doing it because you want to enjoy it.

If it's for the challenge, well, expect to be challenged.

If you really want to enjoy it and get the most out of it, allow yourselves more time and/or be well trained.

Instead of concentrating your training on distance, you need to concentrate it on time. ie spend ten hours in the saddle regularly until you get used to it enough to do it again the next day. That is unless you're doing all of your training with a full touring load. That's the best way to prepare - it's what I did and it worked. btw I did the 75 miles a day for 14 days fully loaded and unsupported option. I was knackered by the end, but then I'm a woman in her late 30s. If you prepare enough on a time basis then you'll be fine to do your 100 miles a day as lads in your early 20s.

nigelb

Just out of curiosity, how are you going to tackle bike maintenance?

I'm assuming that even 4 well prepared and serviced bikes are likely to need some work on the way?

Have you all got the same bikes, so tools and spares are interchangeable?

Must admit, I'm jealous of the adventure, but I suspect I'd need to allow over a month - 50 miles in a day sounds a lot, let alone trying to do it day after day.

Nige

Davidc

Guru
Don't take it lightly. I did 10 x 90 to 110 mile days when in my early 20s, with 2 mates, in France (in the foothills of the alps).

It's knackering. You need to eat 5 to 6 thousand calories a day and then you still lose weight. We didn't have any problems sleeping though.

For practice we rode South London to the south coast fully laden both days of each weekend for 10 weeks beforehand, plus several extra evening trips of 100miles weekdays.

Make sure you have a seat you can ride on for at least 12 hours without getting sore. You'll find that some days your overall average is well below 10 mph. one of the groups legs will just refuse to go at full speed.

The advice above is good, but if you're determined then hope you enjoy a good and safe trip. Wish I could still do it myself.

PK99

Legendary Member
MacLean said:
Hi all,

Me and 3 friends are planning on doing roughly 100 miles a day and completing LEJOG in approx 10 days.

?

that is a SERIOUS challenge. A friend is doing a 9 day fully supported Lejog at the end of May -

His current training is two century rides a week (plus gentle 70 mile jaunts with the CTC on wednesdays) and will up that to 3 from the start of May.

He will be carrying no more than a light day pack - 9*100 miles fully loaded?

OP
OP
M

MacLean

Thank you all for your input. I have read every one of your responses and have gathered that providing we put the training in then it is do-able.

I will look into the tent issue as having 2 two man tents actually sounds better now that it has been suggested, and I will start thinking time wise aswell as just mileage.

NigelB Regarding bike mechanical stuff, I have ridden motorbikes alot and do my own work on these so am pretty mechanically clued up... I admit I am still learning pedal bikes, but can do the basics such as changing tires, adjusting gears/ brakes etc. I have a tool kit and pump strapped to the bike for basic roadside fixes and tire changes... But if we have any major mechanical issues then we will simply have to find the nearest bike shop to sort it out....

Well thats the plan anyway

OP
OP
M

MacLean

PK99 said:
that is a SERIOUS challenge

Yep, we're not doing this because its easy.

Your friend sounds very well prepaired.

Our training at the moment consits of 1 or 2 hill runs during the week. And tomorrow and sunday we are doing 75 (without full weight). So still lots of hard training to do!

Again thanks for all your responses, I relize now that we cant be complacent at all and still have alot of work to do!

jay clock

Massive member
Sounds like you are giving it serious thought. Having read a few comments I would add the following,

1 Bear in mind technical problems. You only have to have one split tyre whihc may take a few hours of finding a bike shop and you will have lost half a day.

2. Two tents will be logistically a lot easier. Also if one or two of your group drops out you can continue with one smaller tent

3. Do not underestimate time spent setting up tent and packing up. It takes ages! Also plan ahead for food if doing yr own cooking. Think about clothes washing. Not washing anything either means very smelly clothes (and much worse, infected shorts which can be nasty) or taking tons of stuff. Laundrettes once in while can be good. perhaps stop in a town and do a wash at lunchtime whilst eating? Stuff spun in machine but not tuble dried will dry on strapped on the panniers

4 If you can stealth camp (hard in a big group) you can do longer days as you will have to continue close to sunset to avoid detection, and in the morning you have not go the time wasting attractions of proper toilet and washing facilities.

5 For training, no substitute for tons of riding. I would try to do 3 x 110 laden miles on the trot in advance. Even if you do it from home, carry all your kit, set up tent each night in the garden, cook food you bought on route and wash your clothes in a bucket with cold water. See how you cope. Also do as many short rides as you can to get your body used to the saddle and iron out niggles.

6 set off with the bike in perfect condition

Best of luck

jay clock

Massive member
on another note, what bike you taking? That camping load will be heavy and my impression is that young lads of your age just wheel a bike out of the shed and have a go! May be an unfair guess, but what bike, what wheels and have you tested it with a full load. A broken spoke is going to be a real hassle.....

OP
OP
M

MacLean

Specilized tricross is my bike at the moment....

Its a cyclocross bike which I have already kitted out with rack and mudguards, bottle cages, pump, toolkit.

Some will say a steel bike would be more comfy than an alu but tbh I think the tricross is more than up to the task! I would describe it as a meaty road bike lol

Reactions: apb
Another vote for two smaller tents, you can divy them up between four along with the rest of the common kit into even shares and not have to worry about swapping stuff about. Slaver on the arse cream and try wearing two pairs of shorts if your backside is suffering towards the end.

Top Bottom