105 Cassette, XT hub - mix'n'match?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrMajestic

Here's a puzzle. I used to have a rear wheel which had a Deore LX hub with 10 speed freehub. This wheel had a 10 speed Tiagra (4600) cassette fitted (by Planet X). As I recall it did not have a spacer between the cassette and the spokeside freehub end. I now have a new rear wheel. It is built onto a Deore XT hub with 10 speed freehub. This time I am trying to fit a 105 10 speed cassette (5700). Now here's the problem. If I fit the 1mm spacer that came with the cassette onto the freehub and then mount the cassette I cannot get the lockring to engage on the thread. Certainly not enough to want to start turning it with a large wrench to the 40Nm recommended. If I try without the 1mm spacer I can engage the lockring easily enough and get a couple of turns on it. However it does not tighten far enough to completely remove all slack and there's slight cassette wobble. So question 1 is......spacer or no spacer? Second puzzle. If I remove the spacer, which is 1mm thick, then I seem to be able to 'buy' more extra space than that when I tighten the lockring. Almost as if the spacer itself does not fully bed onto the freehub. Question 2 - is there a more effective spacer on the market for this cassette/hub marriage?
At worst I suppose I could wet'n'dry the 1mm spacer down to about 0.5mm instead. Bit of a PITA to do though.
Ideas???

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I recently replaced a 10 speed HG cassette with a 105 10 speed cassette. At first, I could not get the lock ring on with the spacer, and without it, there was play in the cassette when the lock ring was tightened up. Unhappy with this, I tried again with the spacer and this time it fitted as it should have done so I'm not sure what I was doing wrong. The lock ring only just went on with the spacer but I'm glad I had another go at it. It should go if all the sprockets are lined up correctly.

OP
OP
MrMajestic

MrMajestic

Wonder if it helps to remove the very thin spacer that's on the lockring? I did try to fit it complete twice but to no avail.

OP
OP
MrMajestic

MrMajestic

MrBikerBoy73: Taking a leaf out of your book I went out to the garage to try it for a third time. Lo and behold it worked! I reckon the trick is mounting the final, smallest sprocket securely. Anyway, thanks for giving me the patience :smile:

Top Bottom