105 Compact crank in need of 53 chain ring, bit what one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Luegolover

Hello,

I ride a 105 compact crank and am thinking of going to a 53 tooth outer sprocket and probably 38 inner.

I have started to trawl the web but am unsure of the dimensions of the chainrings I'll need.

Also wondered if anybody could recommend some low cost options?

Thanks
Steve

Sharky

Guru
TA Zephyr's will probably fit:-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ta-110-pcd-zephyr-outer-road-chainring-50-56t/

But I tried a couple of seasons ago with a 54 ring and it wasn't that successful. They fitted the chain ok, but the gap between my big & small rings must have been slightly larger and the chain kept falling between the two when changing down.

The only gain you are getting is about a 7" bigger gear when on the 11 sprocket and a 50x11 at 110" is already a pretty big gear. At 30 mph, your cadence will be 80 - 84 rpm - a difference of only 4 rpm.

Ring 50 51 52 53
cog 11 119.7 122.0 124.4 126.8

Since my experiment with the 54 ring, I have gone back to a 50, but have changed my crank lengths down to 145mm. With an 11 sprocket, this gives me more than enough at the top end and I hardly use the 11 sprocket. Must say that my top speeds rarely get above 30mph and my average for a 10 mile TT will be only about 21mph nowadays.

Good luck,
Keith

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Hello,

I ride a 105 compact crank and am thinking of going to a 53 tooth outer sprocket and probably 38 inner.

I have started to trawl the web but am unsure of the dimensions of the chainrings I'll need.

Also wondered if anybody could recommend some low cost options?

Thanks
Steve

Anything 110BCD.

Top Bottom