105 to Ultrega?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enw.nigel

I have bought a set of Fulcrum Racing 5's which I am going to set up as my 'better weather' wheels.
My Focus Cayo has a 105 groupset with a 12-27 cassette.
I am going to put a 11-28 cassette on the new wheels but was wondering if there would be any advantage in buying Ultrega instead of 105. I would also replace the chain with an Ultrega 'equivalent' and keep these paired up. Would the shifting be smoother. I am not worried about any weight saving.
Also, would the chain length remain the same running a 11-28 cassette compared to a 12-27.
I was going to wait until Spring to sort this out but the holiday boredom has got me.
Many thanks in anticipation.

Ultegra would I think be a little lighter and smoother but I've only got Ultegra brakes so can't say 100% I doubt though it would offer that much advantage compared to cost. When I changed my 105 (11-25) cassette to a (SRAM 11-26) I did need to lengthen my chain; I didn't at first and it snagged a few times and eventually ripped off the derailleur :blush:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
+1. Just changing the cassette will not make any difference to the shifting. You would have to change the shifters and mechs to notice the difference.[/quote]

OP
OP
Enw.nigel

Enw.nigel

Thanks for your replies. I will take your advice, save some money and stick to 105's.
Happy New Year to you all,

Norry1

Legendary Member
As a slight aside - I'm looking to upgrade my Secteur wheels from the Mavic CXP-22 that they come with. How much difference do you think the Fulcrum 5's would make?

Martin

OP
OP
Enw.nigel

Enw.nigel

As a slight aside - I'm looking to upgrade my Secteur wheels from the Mavic CXP-22 that they come with. How much difference do you think the Fulcrum 5's would make?

Martin

I can only compare the Fulcrum 5's with the Rodi Stylus Wheels that came with the Cayo and too me there is a world of difference. I find they run much smoother making for a better ride and knock a couple minutes off a 22 mile ride. They also give off a wonderful 'hum' when riding.
I have put them away now until spring now because of all the crap/potholes on the roads which I ride - some of which are tractor infested lanes.
I am going to use Fulcrum 7's which I have just received today from Wiggle as replacement for my Rodi Stylus wheels which have knackered bearings. That is another story though!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
+1 for not noticing a difference, plus the fact Ultegra chains over the last couple of years have been $hite. FWIW I use KMX X10 chains now like this,
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CHKMX1093-SIL/kmc_x10_93_chain___silvergrey
and I'm very happy with them.

OT, but can anyone tell me why the link symbol is greyed out in my reply box so I can't insert a link like I used to be able to on the old site?

Yes, KMC chains are far better then Shimano ones.

As to the link. Highlight some text first, then the link box should show up.
ie Planet X

Top Bottom