11-23 cassette on 50 34 chainset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
I'm 52 and 12-26 and that does me although I suspect I 've never got into the 12, I've managed 35mph on downhill with wind and still not got into the smallest cog, suspect I don;t manages the bottom three on many days, I do get up to the 26 regular though when noodling along in heavy/stopped traffic

I remember my last question to the Condor chap, will the smallest gear be enough gear for me, he was certain that it would be, I think he said I'd be doing 40 at a decent cadence

new cassette will be 13-26

gavintc

Guru
I have changed my cassette from a 12-27 to a 11-25 for this season. I really like it. The 50-11 is a very useful downhill gear allowing you to pedal rather than free-wheel down the steep ones and at the other end 34-25 will get you up most things. I realised at the end of last year, that I was rarely engaging 34-27 so decided to make the jump - seems a good range to me. I will probably fit a 12-27 for the really steep sportives.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
gavintc said:
I have changed my cassette from a 12-27 to a 11-25 for this season. I really like it.

- to get back to the OP - did you have to shorten the chain?

gavintc

Guru
No - just changed the cassette. My wife changes between 12-25 and a 13-29 dependant upon the expected gradient and the advice from the LBS - do not use big / big as this will be too much for the chain.

Top Bottom